CHAPTER 77

Walking down the long corridor of the hotel, Kimberly Harper strode confidently in a black battlesuit and stiletto boots designed to be silent on the wooden floor. She knelt outside Jade's hotel room, taking out a set of lockpicks from her belt. She brushed away her blonde hair, her blue eyes focused on the task at hand.

“This is going to be easy money!” she said as she inserted the tension wrench into the bottom of the keyhole and applied slight pressure. Then, she inserted the pick at the top of the lock while applying a slight torque to her wrench. She scrubbed her pick back and forth in the keyhole, repeating until all the pins were set and... The door opened up a little. “Nothing personal, Jade,” she said, standing up to retrieve the handgun she kept in her right leg holster, “Just business.”

She kicked the door open, aiming at... Nobody?

The window was open, there were two travel cases and a purse on the bed. Kimberly entered with the gun up, searching the entire place. The bathroom, the shower, under the bed.

Nothing.

"It looks like there's no one here," Kimberly said, turning to leave the room. Once she was out in the hallway, she looked in both directions.

"I'm sure she's around here," Kimberly whispered, but then she heard the sound of a metal wire, heels hitting the wooden floor inside the room, and someone rolling. Kimberly laughed. "Of course. If the boys are upstairs, you were obviously protecting them from outside the window," Kimberly took a long breath and turned quickly with the gun raised, "Come out, come out, whoever you are. I know you’re a former hunter," the blonde entered the room slowly, her senses on alert, "Come on! Who are you? Olga Dombrovski? Alexia Favager?"

“Looking for someone?”

Kimberly turned quickly, raising her handgun, but a stiletto boot kicked her ribs, making her groan.

Kimberly rolled on the floor, but as she stood up, a hand snatched her gun away, twisting her arm behind her back.

Silence followed.

“Kimberly?” the voice of the girl behind her said, and the blonde had to smile despite being restrained.

“It’s been a long time, Evie,” she giggled a little, looking over her shoulder.

"What are you doing here?" Evangeline whispered.

"I was about to ask you the same thing," the blonde whispered in her classic calm and collected voice.

The unexpected happened.

Kimberly lunged forward and placed her free hand on the floor, moving up a leg to kick the gun off Evangeline’s hand, sending it flying through the air.

Kimberly placed one foot on the ground, then the other, and caught the gun as it descended, turning to aim at the enemy...

But Evangeline held the gun and snatched it, aiming it at her.

Kimberly stood frozen, but with a smile upon her face, raising both hands in surrender but still smiling.

"I'm going to ask you this once... What are you doing here?" Evangeline kept her finger close to the trigger, "I saw you at the strip club, and I also saw you talking to Frank and Finn at school."

"Why didn't you do anything then?" The blonde laughed, narrowing her blue eyes.

"Blackfox already had his sights on you, you know he's a good sniper," Evangeline replied, "Why are you here? Why did you talk to Frank? What did you want from him?"

"Oh Evie. You like that boy, don't you?" Kimberly crossed her arms, "I just wanted to know if he had metal between his legs, that's all. Can't I be curious?"

"Are you working for the Hunters?"

"Don't make me laugh!" Kimberly did laugh, but quietly, taking slow steps closer. "We both know you messed them up. I am just here to give that girl a little scare, but you know me, I always have my own plans."

"Someone paid you to scare Jade?" Evangeline cocked her head.

"Although it seems as if you were expecting me," Kimberly bit her lower lip.

"I'm always on the alert when it comes to unemployed hunters. Now tell me, who sent you here?"

"You know us spies and trained killers always use intermediaries. The less you know, the better your chances of survival," Kimberly took one last step closer. The cannon of her own gun was so cold against her forehead. "We both know you won't kill me."

"But I know you would have killed me," Evangeline half-closed her eyes.

"You're angry with me, aren't you, step-sis?" she chuckled. "And to think that I was looking forward to this little family reunion."

Suddenly, Kimberly lowered Evangeline’s arm, elbowed her in the face, and then placed her hands on her stepsister’s forearm, moving up both legs at the same time. She wrapped her thighs around her stepsister's head and turned quickly. Evangeline was brought down to floor level, pinned roughly by Kimberly, whose hand reached to take back her gun.

“Quick word of warning,” Kimberly said, putting her gun back in its holster, “Stay out of this one. The next time you and I meet, I will show no mercy."

And then Kimberly rose to her feet.

Then there was a male voice...

"Don't forget to tell Henry that you will come with me to Lyonfort," Frank was around the corner talking to Jade, Evangeline supposed. His footsteps were getting closer, his voice sounding louder with every passing second. "I'm so excited! I want to show you my inventions!"

“Frank!” Evangeline gasped.

"I'll leave you alone with your boyfriend," Kimberly said, pulling a silver grapple gun from the left holster on her thigh, "Thank you for leaving the window open, Evie. You made my job easier." The blonde aimed up at the ceiling, firing the hook, “See you around,” then she ran towards the window, jumping out despite being on the tenth floor, swinging down.

The hook detached from the ceiling, and Evangeline quickly stood up.

"Kimberly!" Evangeline ran to the window, looking out, but the blonde was already gone, as if she had vanished into thin air, like she always did.

"Evie?" Frank asked, standing under the door frame next to Jade, "Don't tell me. Were you spying on us from outside the building again?"

"Yes. You asked me to keep an eye on Jade and that's what I did," Evangeline replied, looking Jade up and down, "I heard everything from the microphone I put on her back, I'll take her to Lyonfort."

"Did you hear everything?" Jade gasped and turned very red.

"Everything," Evangeline nodded, "From the moment you passed out to the moment you started walking down the stairs with Frank."