CHAPTER 52

Before Jade knew it, she was on her way to an abandoned location in Alycandro's purple muscle car, and he played with his gold necklace chain once or twice. It was a crescent moon.

It all looked like a movie scene. The six boys' cars formed a line as they made their way down a secret path between tall trees.

Each car fit their personalities.

Frank drove a green Chevrolet Volt, an electric car with neon blue lightning painted on the doors.

Draco drove a red Ferrari with bat-shaped rims.

Finn drove a blue Corvette Stingray which had a long spoiler at the rear.

A chauffeur was driving Zeth's car, a golden Rolls Royce that looked like a sarcophagus while he probably ate grapes or perhaps drank champagne in the backseat. Typical Zeth.

And Everett drove a white snowplow truck with giant tires, almost a monster truck.

The smell of the forest enveloped them, and there was no sound except the rumble of the vehicles and a few Latin pop songs Jade didn't know. Alex told her that those were songs that he heard when he was still a kid living in Mexico City, but she didn't understand any of the lyrics because they were in Spanish, although she liked one called ‘Inolvidable’ which Alex translated as unforgettable and said it was from a group, something that started with an R.

She kept moving her leg nervously in the passenger seat, well aware that this was a bad idea.

Jade hadn't said a word since she jumped into his car, so the only noises were stones breaking under the tires. She wanted to fall asleep in the seat, her eyes were heavy, but her survival instinct finally kicked in, after two nights, and kept her on the alert.

It seemed like a stupid moment to finally distrust the guys.

But this was an unknown place.

She got worried.

They were really alone.

No cars, no buildings, nothing. It didn't even look like they were still in Hollow Woods.

Alycandro drove for ten minutes and finally found what looked like a path through some bushes at the side of the road. There wasn't any indication as to where this path went, but Alycandro parked next to it and unclipped his seatbelt.

"Don't worry, we didn't bring you here to kill you," he said.

Jade looked out the window and saw nothing but grass and trees. The sky was dark, and her breath fogged the glass.

"What are we doing here?" Jade asked him when she got out of the car.

"Hope your boots are not uncomfortable," he said, slamming the car door. "Follow me."

The guys led her through branches and trees.

It was hard to see where she was going through the thick forest, so she followed them.

The sound of crickets echoed around her, and the wind whispered through the leaves.

It was too quiet here.

They were all silent for most of the walk under the branches.

This was a nice and quiet place to die, at least.

"This forest scares me," Jade said.

"It was scarier when I was younger." Zeth replied, walking in front of all the boys, but relatively close to Jade, "This is the Forest of Catalos, and here I fought many Zeldrichs. An ancestor of mine, Marquess Zeth Rahman of Zeleste Island, reported the first Zeldrich sighting here since the arrival of the Guardian Gods. It is said that’s was why Duke Kade decided to hatch dragon eggs from the long abandoned and destroyed lands of Zegypt."