CHAPTER 81

Once outside Lyonfort, Evangeline offered to park Frank's car while he and Jade walked through the courtyard all the way to a hallway she had not seen her first time around, and took the elevator to the Solar.

They kept going up and up, higher and higher; the sounds of people fading below them.

Once they got out of the elevator and walked to the Solar door, Frank unlocked it with his key and extended a hand to Jade. The place smelled of tangerine incense.

"Make yourself at home," Frank told her, motioning to a black leather couch, “If you're wondering, Zeth always asks Mrs. Wilkes to light incense when we're not around and she leaves when the stick has burned."

“That explains the sweet smell," Jade dropped onto the couch, and after a moment, Frank came over and joined her.

“You look nervous,” he said, holding her hand.

“I am, just a little bit,” she nodded, “I'm worried that I may be in danger. Evangeline mentioned something about it.”

“She's a little paranoid, don't stress. She is a very good bodyguard, one of the most dangerous women in the world. She and I and my friends will protect you," he chuckled slightly, but then sighed. “There is not much here, but... Do you want to see my workshop?” he asked, and she moved a strand of her hair behind her ear.

“Is it at the end of another endless staircase?” Jade asked.

He chuckled and shook his head.

“Out of this apartment, turn left, down the hall... Wanna come with me?” he stood up and extended his bionic hand.

Jade held it, and then followed him out.

The hallway was dark, but torches illuminated it just enough that it didn’t seem like night-time. A faint smell of incense floated through the air. Her eyes were just adjusting, so she could barely see a few feet ahead at best. The only noise in this place was the occasional whisper or rustle.

As she walked behind him, holding his non-bionic hand, something about this place suddenly looked familiar. Like it had been there all along, but she couldn’t place it.

These walls, it's like she had seen them before.

But most importantly, something about being alone with him made her skin prickle, but also sent chills up her spine.

They arrived outside a door at the end of the hall. It was made of wood and steel, and it was a bit old.

"This is my workshop," he said, releasing her hand. He reached for the handle and his bionic hand buzzed. After a moment of silence, the lock clicked with a beep, and he pushed open the heavy door. It creaked as he stepped inside, and then closed with a soft thud once she entered. "My hand is the only one that can open the lock, it was my invention, it's like a fingerprint scanner but with magnets and my energy signature." Frank lifted a big old lever on the wall, and the place hummed with electricity.

This was indeed a big workshop.

Bulbs hung from the ceiling, and glowing blue crystals lined two walls. An array of tables filled one side, which held a variety of machines, some of which were unfamiliar to her. There was a desk set up next to a operating room table.

"This is where I spend most of my nights when I'm not on tour," he began, walking toward the large circular window overlooking the forest. Jade followed him.

She leaned over the ledge and looked out into the darkness beyond the trees. As far as the eye could see, there was nothing, except for the dark sky above them.

"Do you like it?" Frank asked and she nodded, turning to look at him.

She had seen that look in his eyes a couple of times during their conversations, a look that was so different from his usual friendliness. Frank was a good guy, and he loved his friends. He had always been kind and helpful.

But that look was not friendly; it was romantic.

But she didn't want to dwell on it too much.

Because if she did, things might get really awkward.

It wasn't just his handsome face, nor his big, bulky, and muscular body that attracted her to Frank. That was obvious. But there was something else, something she couldn't quite put her finger on.

Whenever he smiled at her or laughed, the room she was in always started spinning.

Finally, after several moments of silence, he spoke again.

"Do you know why I brought you here?"

Jade shook her head.

He turned around and faced her.

"It's because... Well, this is my special place, and I wanted to bring someone special here one day." He stared deep into her eyes, searching for a hint of hope, "No one, not even the other guys, has been here before. It's always me, my machines and my thoughts."

"Am I special?" Jade whispered.

"I thought you knew you were." He paused.

Jade thought she knew where this was going.

"So, may I show you around?" he asked.

"Sure," Jade nodded.