CHAPTER 19

Walking in the dark, down a long tree-lined road back to her step-dad's house, Jade was sure she was about to die.

In her peripheral vision, Jade saw it: a figure moving in the darkness. Suddenly, a large white light shone from one of its headlights.

There was a car chasing her, and Jade was running as fast as possible.

The headlights followed her, and the vehicle roared like a lion. No matter how fast Jade ran, the car didn't stop. Jade was alone in the dark, and the night was getting colder by the second. But there was something inside her that kept pushing her forward, something begging her to run faster, to turn around, to fight back, to scream for help. The car looked like a sports car, like Dominic Toretto's, and yet it moved very slowly, as if it were escorting her, hunting her, trying to catch up to her.

Jade couldn't run anymore, and when she fell down, everything seemed to disappear. Her vision was blurred, her legs wouldn't work, and then her ears heard two voices...

"Hey! Did you get lost, señorita?"

"You're kissing the floor or did you fall?"

Jade sighed.

Seriously?

"Were you following me?" She rose up and yelled.

The engine of the purple V8 muscle car was making too much noise, and under a streetlight, Jade finally looked at the two guys who were looking at her with the window rolled down.

"Get in, we'll take you wherever you're going," Alex said, holding the wheel. In the passenger seat was Draco.

"I can walk home," Jade said, but Draco shook his finger.

"No, no, it's dark and we're still far away from Henry's place. Get in the car," he opened the door. "Come on, say yes!"

On one hand, Jade wanted to get into the car with them, but on the other, she really didn't want to get any more high hopes with the boys.

Jade was still upset about what had happened between Finn and herself the last time they'd met. So she thought about it some more before she took a look at the long road she still had to travel and all those trees and lack of civilization.

Without a word, she finally climbed into the car.

"Thanks," Jade murmured. Alex put the car in gear, and then they were off, speeding along the road.

The first three minutes were silent, but with Draco, you couldn't stay like that for long.

"The redhead who was yelling at you..." Draco began.

"You were spying on me, weren’t you?" Jade snapped, and Alex punched Draco in the shoulder.

"I told you to shut up!"

"Ouch! Hey! That girl was yelling horrible things at her!"

"It's Melody O'Pry, the daughter of Cadence and Tom O'Pry, CEO of Phantom Records," Jade replied, looking out the window. Here in Hollow Woods, everything was green: the trees, their trunks covered with moss, the ground covered with ferns. Even the moonlight filtered greenish through the leaves.

"Cadence is crazy," Draco said with a dismissive hand, "Don't take it seriously. She used to be hated by everyone, feared by many, and very popular."

"And since when do you know her?" Alex asked without taking his eyes off the road, driving too slowly for the kind of car he owned.

"It's just that Zeth told me not to say anything," Draco replied. Alex was looking at Jade in the rear-view mirror, perhaps aware of her surprised, confused face.