⸢ 62 ⸥

The sun slowly reveals itself, Eugene rubs his eyes after waking up then stretches his body. He tilted his head left and right as he felt his nape was aching.

He blinked his eyes to adjust his vision and saw he was alone inside the carriage.

Last night he slept while leaning on the others' chest. Riel didn't want him to sleep outside on the ground with just a cloth under him. The ground was cold and the wind too, so he said to just sleep here.

They didn't find an inn yesterday so they could only rest outside. Good thing they brought things like a tent because if not maybe those knights will really sleep outside.

He opened the door then went out the carriage. Seeing people in black tied in a rope he asked the person near him.

"They are?"

The knight looked at the youth then answered.

"Thieves, they were about to rob us last night but his Highness caught them."

Oh, so it was like that but judging from those people's appearance their clothes were torn by something, he thought to himself.

Why didn't he heard anything at all? Does that mean he slept like a pig?

Eugene saw Riel standing there, telling something to the person beside him.

His eyes lit up then he walked towards Riel.

The expressionless face of the Prince immediately let out a smile when he saw the youth walking towards him.

He gestured to the person he was talking to and that person looked at the youth for a moment then said something before turning his back on them and walked away.

"Sir, after interrogating the leader it seems like they were just ordinary robbers from the town we passed by."

The man who was talking with the Prince earlier rubbed his chin and thought while staring at the group of people who already looked miserable from the last night's fight.

If that's what it is then,

"Hang them in the tree branch that could hold their weight. Don't remove the cloth covering their mouths. Who knows if we let them go they might rob again and won't learn their lesson. At least teach them one."

So, the knights immediately carried the order. Look for some rope that they prepared and hang those people in a tree.

"Cook a meal now, his Highness hasn't had breakfast yet. Then after De An went back we will continue our journey."

Because staying on the road was dangerous, especially the identity of the person they were escorting now was very important. If something happened to him, especially to that little guy, his Majesty might target them in anger.

Good thing what happened last night was just a robbery incident, if those people were assassins then they were finished.

He himself admits that he slept that night like a pig, if it weren't for his subordinate to wake him up then he might also not know what happened.

He scratched his nose as if embarrassed by letting his guard down. As a Commander this kind of thing actually happened under his nose, his Highness might think he wasn't doing his job properly.

The knights who can cook immediately started to make breakfast enough for all of them.

"Good morning."

Riel greeted the youth who was already standing in front of him while smiling.

"Good morning!"

Eugene greeted back. He then looked towards those tied up people that were being moved by the soldiers away and asked.

"Robbers?"

Riel hummed, then the youth asked again.

"Why didn't you wake me up?"

The Prince frowned after hearing these words then said.

"Sleep is important."

Eugene stared at those robbers and thought. If something like this happens again, or maybe worse, is he only a burden then? After all, he couldn't fight.

He didn't know how to protect himself unless the fight was like a child fight then he was an expert in that.

"Hey, teach me to fight."

It sounds like a command but Riel didn't mind and patiently answered.

"Not needed, I could protect you anyways."

Then without waiting for the youth to retort he already pulled the youth towards the place where some soldiers were cooking.

The soldiers just simply lit up a fire then tied up four sticks together that could handle the weight of a pot, put a rope on the pot then tied it on the stick so the pot was hanging in the air.

The thing they were cooking was noodles, after all it was the most simple and easy to cook.

A guy open the lid to check the noodles if it was already soft then he beat three eggs to put it there, stirred it a little so that the egg wouldn't got stuck at the pot the pit the lid back.

The two sat down at a tree trunk near the fire and one soldier lent them a plate of apple that was already peeled and sliced so they could have something to fill their stomach for a moment until the food was cooked.

Riel fed the apple to the youth beside him, then ate one on his own. When Eugene already swallowed the apple, Riel fed another slice to him.

This lasted until the apple slice on the plate was finished.

He gave the plate to a soldier nearby him then got the two bowls given to them and the fork.

When the noodles were cooked the soldiers let the Prince scoop first an amount for the two of them, he filled the youths' bowl first before he filled his own then started to eat.

After that, all the soldiers lined up to get food on their own. The ration they cooked wasn't that much so the food they had wasn't enough after eating.

They weren't full but it's ok, at least they had eaten something. Because the food they had was his Highness' food so they were already fine eating a little.

This was fine instead of hunting their own food at all.