⸢ 72 ⸥

A man was standing there, looking at the rock that had the name of his wife written in it. The pound had a flower above, it was a tulip, representing his pure and genuine love.

Suddenly, someone walked towards his side. Carrying a bundle of white cloth that was used to cover the little one. He stands beside the man and also looks at the rock.

The man’s attention was pulled towards the white cloth, he stared at the face that was the only thing that could be seen, it was sleeping peacefully which triggered the pain in his heart.

His regret for being away was so strong that he couldn't bear to look at the child. But, why would he wrong the baby? He doesn't know anything, he just wanted to be born and have a look outside the world.

The man picked up the child to hug him in his own arms, he used his index finger to poke the child's nose that resulted in him to unconsciously smile.

He spoke.

“His name was Cariell Von Ejellan, the future Emperor of the Ejen.”

Then his smile became sad as he continued his words.

“You should send him to the West, I heard there's an Academy there. You could let him grow there. To become independent and won't be too close to me.”

He was safer if he's away, letting go of the only reason he had to stay in the world of living was painful, but what could he do?

He’s still weak, he still needs power. To protect himself, to protect his son’s future.

“Your Highn-”

“Love could shackle people, that's what happened to me. I don't want my love to shackle his freedom, I don't want to be like my parents. The love they gave me brought me happiness but in the end, this was the reason why all this happened. What is the opposite of love? Isn't it hate? Jealousy and things? My brothers hated me, and were jealous of me just because of the love I received from our parents. I don't blame my parents but I blame them for being biased towards their child. Although I don't have plans to marry a new wife because I love Carmella very much, it was still safe for him to be away.”

Cole tried to persuade the man, unfortunately he also shut his mouth as the eyes that look at him make him know the other was hurting while making this decision.

“The war isn't over yet, I don't want my child to get involved. He was safer when he's away from me. I don't want to lose another loved one. Please…….send him away, and when he grows up as a man, even if he hates me for the way I let him grow, it was better than him leaving me alone and going to his Mom.”

Then he put the child back in Cole's arms.

“I will go North and see if I can ask for help, or borrow an army to support me temporarily.”

He said before he completely turned and walked away.

Marius didn't dare to look back, as he knew once he looked back his determination of sending his son away would vanish.

Cole looked at the sleeping angel in his arms and thought, the Prince was right. He was still in the middle of the war, a war between family and what was the best weapon to win? It's to involve the most important person in their heart in the middle of the war. Which could lead them to demise.

He let out a sigh, the royal family was really complicated. He stood there for a while before he also walked away, ready to do the job he was tasked with.

Cole can't trust this in other people thus he lets his men prepare the things for him before he travels away.

“Let his Highness know I was away, and Jian, you lead them until I come back.”

He might be away for a long time, because he still needs to look for trusted people to hire to take care of Cariell. He’ll just offer them their high wages so they would stay loyal, honest and wouldn't try to bully the child.

Weeks had passed, Cole was finally back to Ejen. He went to Marius first to report about his mission and told the Prince that he brought people to also look after the people who will take care of the baby and report to them when something bad happens, using a paper and pen to send a mail.

“Hmm.”

Marius just hummed, then continued to read what he was holding. He sent people to investigate what happened and it also said here that it wasn't just his brothers who had done that, someone was backing him. However, who was this person that seemed more powerful than him? And what's worse, the backer wasn't alone, they were more.

Cole stared at the skinny Prince in front of him, his handsome look was gone as he had eyebags, his cheeks were a little sunk and there's a beard that had intention to grow.

Marius went back to the Palace to make people pay, unfortunately he heard something he didn't expect which made the anger in his heart burn more.

And now, he was standing in the middle of a room, holding a sword with blood that was still dripping from the blade.

He coldly looked down at the dead body of his parents, there's no guilt after doing what he had done, even a little feeling of gratitude was none. The only feeling he had was being thankful for letting him be born and grow up, letting him meet his wife, but that was the only half of it, the remaining feeling was hate after ruining his life.

He was a doll, a breathing doll, who had his own mind to think, to decide and to do what he wants, but a doll is a doll. What is a doll? It is a thing that was raised, fed and clothed while being controlled by someone.

A lifeless doll that once it didn't have any value, can be thrown away.

He wasn't actually the favorite, he wasn't the person that was loved. He just became obedient to the point when his parents retired from the throne and he replaced them, the decision and everything will still be in their hands because he was trained to be like that.

Walking towards the empty throne, Marius sat there, still holding the bloody sword in his hands.

The crown was placed on top of his head and was announced,

“THE NEW EMPEROR OF EJEN WAS BORN. ALL HAIL EMPEROR MARIUS VON EJELLAN.”

Cole, who shouted this at the empty royal chamber, bent down on one knee, and bowed down his head.

“Rise.”

He stood up, his right hand still on his chest.

“Thank you, Your Majesty.”