The Principal's Rule

You have your hands on your knees, gasping for air. Grim didn't fair much better. He shoot an annoyed look at the headmage.

"Well?" Grim shot at the headmage.

Crowley at least looked pleased. "Incredible... I've never seen anyone bend a monster to their will quite the way you have. I must confess, my educator's intuition did sense something about you after the brouhaha at orientation, Y/N. I could tell you had a certain animal trainer-y, beast master-ish quality to you. Oh, yes."

You look up hopefully. "So would it be possible for Grim to stay with me?"

"WHAT? A monster, stay HERE?" Crowley reacted like you said you were going to steal his job.

"Whoa, did you just-"

"Please sir." You interrupted Grim, not wanting the situation to get worse.

Crowley sighed and shook his head. "Hmmm... I suppose I cannot deny your plea. Very well"

Grim's mouthed dropped. "Myah?! Really?"

"Let me be clear!" Crowley said with a stern voice. "Under no circumstances would I admit anyone to Night Raven College who has not been selected by the Dark Mirror - especially not a monster! Nor do I intend to allow you, Y/N, to freeload until you're able to return home."

Grim scoffed. "Hrmph. Never shoulda got my hopes up." You got that right. What's with this guy?

"Now, allow me to explain." Crowley continued. "It was the Dark Mirror that transported you here. Therefore this school does bear some responsibility for your well-being. So I will allow you to remain in this dorm, free of charge." You silently let out a sigh of relief.

"However, you will need to pay for your own food, clothing, and incidentals. As to how you will do so, penniless as you are..." Crowley laughs at his idea. "Ah. Ah ha. Yes, a fine plan." You swallow, worried what he'd say next.

"You needn't seem so alarmed." Crowley said, clearly seeing the worry on your face. "I'm simply going to ask you to do a few odd jobs around campus. From what you've done here, Y/N, I can tell you know your way around a broom. So what do you say to you two working together as a janitorial team? If you agree to that, I will make a special exception and allow you to remain on campus." Grim didn't look to pleased with the offer. But seeing as you had no choice, you'd be grateful for anything.

"I'll also allow you use of the library, so that you may study, and research ways to return home. How soundlessly charitable I am. Ah, but only when your work is over, of course!" The library did look amazing. Lord knows how much you'd loved reading all those books.

"Whaaat? What kinda deal is that?! I wanna put on one of those sweet uniforms and be a student, not sweep up people's junk!" Grim cried out.

Crowley looked down to the critter. "If you're not satisfied with my offer, I can arrange to have you thrown out again."

This got Grim to change his tune. "Myah?! ... All right, fine! Let's do it."

You sigh and shake your head. "Guess that's fair enough. But what choice do I have?"

Crowley, seemingly having not heard your remark or simply ignored it, clapped his hands. "Wonderful. Then I beseech you both to work hard as the newest members of the Night Raven College's janitorial staff!"

Crowley left shortly after that. You and Grim climbed up the stairs and made your way down the hall. You eventually found a room that was somewhat more livable than the other rooms. You dust off the bed and find new sheets and blankets in the closet. You make the bed,all the while Grim complains the whole time.

"Man this stinks! I came here to be the top wizard, not some boring janitor!"

You roll your eyes. "Well tough. This is the only way you get to stay on campus and for me to have a roof over my head cause need I remind you, I didn't exactly asked to be here."

Grim held up his arms. "Okay okay, sheesh."

You finish making the bed. Grim immediately hopped on and made himself comfortable in the corner. You let out a long sigh and rummage through the closet for any pjs. You managed to find a pair of white pjs with thin black strips. You change out of your robe and put on them on. Obviously made for a boy, your clothes were baggy but they were still comfortable none the less.

You climb into bed and make yourself comfy. The days events go through your mind. So much happened in just one day. You start to wonder if you'll ever get back home. You start to drift off as these thoughts continue. You fall asleep in your new home away from home.

"Hee hee hee," you woke with a start when a ghost laughs in your face. "Aren't the two of you supposed to be off cleaning the school today?"

Grim stirred in his sleep. "Mmmmm... Nngh... Five more minutes, Ma..." Grim somehow managed to climb next to you while you were asleep. Curled up next to you comfortably.

A ghost appeared next to Grim. "Go ahead, sleep the day away. And you might not eeever hafta wake up again."

The stubby ghost chuckled. "Just like us! Ah ha ha ha ha ha!"

Grim jumped in surprise. "Myah?! The ghosts are back!"

Grim's shocked face made the ghosts laugh. "So I hear you'll be living here from now on? Hope you like pranks as much as we do! Hya ha ha" the lanky ghost laughed some more.

"We gotta get rid of those things for good!" Grim groaned.

You giggle and make your way to the foyer. The door burst open, making you and Grim jump. In walks Crowley.

"Good morning, Y/N. Did you sleep well?" He asked cheerfully.

Grim folded his arms. "Not at all! When I sprawled out on the bed, the mattress fell right through the frame! Exactly how ramshackle IS this dorm? And worse yet, we got woken up by ghosts!"

You smile and shake your head. "I slept alright given the circumstances."

Crowley smiled at you. "I am delighted to hear that you've adjusted so well, despite being sent another world! Now, speaking of moving on, let us discuss your assignment for today."

You brace for what Crowley has to say. "Your job today is to clean the campus. That said, the campus is vast, and without magic, it'd be quite the Herculean task to clean it all. Therefore, today I'll have you focus on the area spanning from the front gates to the library. Now, Y/N... I do expect that you'll keep a close eye on Grim, lest he cause another incident like yesterday."

You nod. "I guess that's understandable." Grim shot you an indignant glance.

Crowley continued. "Do not fail me. You may take your lunch in the cafeteria. I eagerly await the fruits of your labor."

"Hrmph. I ain't cleanin' nothin'! I'm here to study magic so I can be blastin' off spells left and right! Like BAM! POW! FWOOM!" Grim complained, ever the mature one.

"After we clean, we can study in the library."

Grim still did not look happy. "Hrmph."