Just by a Single Vote

You and the boys wait backstage. Vil is feeling a little better and can join the others for the big vote. The announcer shouts into the microphone.

"Coming to you live from the National Arcane Academy Culture Fair at Night Raven College! The Song & Dance Championship teams have all finished their performances! Let's have all our entrants step out on stage!"

The crowd cheers loudly as the boys and Neige's team walk on stage. Just as the boys pass you, you smile brightly.

"Good luck, guys!"

"The winning team is put up to a vote, and everyone in the coliseum gets to cast a ballot. Which team did the best job of expressing the world contained in their song through singing, dancing, and production? Every team put on an incredibly high-level performance. So all of you choose which team you think shined the brightest! Use the QR codes you were given at the gate to vote on your smartphones!"

Pulling out your phone, your screen lights up with both the school's symbols. One to vote for Night Raven or for Royal Sword. You tapped the Night Raven icon and your screen lights up purple and the icon enlarges.

"We have a real-time vote tabulation tool here. Brought to you by Olympos Inc., doing their part to support all our students."

The boys on stage take out their phones as well

"There, picked Night Raven College, and... voted." Epel stammers. "M-my heart's pounding outta my chest."

Deuce nods. "Vil was right when he said that it takes guts to vote for yourself. There were a ton of other really good schools."

"Agreed. And all of them put on fantastic shows." Kalim sheepishly grins. "But I'm still voting for the NRC Tribe!"

"Absolutely!" Ace smirks. "After all that hard training, I deserve that prize money!"

Jamil quirks an eye. "Someone's getting ahead of themselves. But we're definitely top contenders, both performance-wise and popularity-wise. Vote with your head held high."

"Yes." Vil says determinedly. "We've exerted every bit of power we have. This time, I'm going to be number one."

"Thirty seconds until the polls close! Ten seconds! Three, two, one... TIME!"

A bell rings out, signaling the end of the vote.

"We are now getting the final tally... And the results are in! M-my goodness. Is this really possible? Would you believe that the difference between first and second place is ONE vote?"

"A one-vote difference?" Grim exclaims. "If we lose this by one lousy vote, I'm gonna riot!"

You rub your arm. "That is a very close call. I hope the guys win."

"These highly talented students have gathered here from all over the country. Each of them put on a performance that shone brighter than the most radiant jewels. I wish I could give every team here a winning trophy, but sadly, I only have one to give out. Who takes home the honor of being the world's greatest in this year's Song & Dance Championship? The winning school is..."

The announcer trails off. You sigh. "I wish he would just get on with it."

"Royal Sword Academy!"

The crowd cheers wildly. Streamers and confetti in their school color rains down onto the stage. You feel your heart break for the boys. Though they're holding their heads high, you can see the disappointment in their eyes.

"What a wholesome performance it was! The entire stadium was drawn into a world of fairy-tale fantasy! Second place goes to Night Raven College! They lost out on first place by just one vote, but their vocals and moves were a tour de force."

"Myah!" Grim sinks to the floor. "Nooo! My tuna bonanzaaa!"

"Let's have a big round of applause for all of our competing schools and their amazing performances! Will the winning team please step forward?"

Neige and the dwarves step to center stage as the boys sadly walk backstage. Neige blushes as he is handed a large trophy.

"O-oh my gosh. Really? We got the top spot?" Neige smiles and waves to the crowd. "Thank you! Thank you so much! I'm so happy!"

"Now, let's have an encore performance from our winning team! Take it away, Royal Sword Academy!"

Neige and the dwarves sing their song again. The boys meet up with you, all looking disheartened.

Your eyes soften. "I'm so sorry, guys."

Ace runs a hand through his hair. "Just by one vote."

Epel sniffles. "It ain't fair! IT JUST AIN'T FAAAIR!"

"Now, Epel, don't cry." Kalim reassures. "If you keep crying like that... it's gonna make me cry tooooo!"

Kalim hugs Epel as the two cry. Jamil shakes his head. "Kalim! Remember, you're supposed to be the Asim family heir. Have a little dignity. We don't need footage of you bawling your eyes out streamed live to the whole world."

"But it burns!" Kalim clutches his heart. "Aren't you upset about this, Jamil?"

Jamil narrows his eyes. "Oh, absolutely. I'm so upset, I'm beyond words or tears. My mind is a blank."

"Stop this pitiful display at once!" Vil demands. "Stand tall and don't forget to give our rivals a sporting round of applause."

You look to him in surprise. "But, Vil..."

"You're taking this in stride, Vil." Jamil folds his arms. "Are you just used to this by now?"

Vil chuckles. "Calm? Used to this? Of course I'm not!"

Vil starts pacing as he rants. "I want to walk over and kick all those Royal Sword boys right off the stage! Someone, knock me out before I unleash a tirade of verbal abuse that will mince them to shreds! Why, I'd love nothing more than to hex all the people who voted for them."

"Oh, fair Vil. Our Roi du Poison." Rook holds his hat to his chest. "I must apologize, for my choice has brought you much anguish. But I simply couldn't lie to myself."

"What are you talking about?" Vil asks.

"The one most deserving of your ire... is moi."

Vil narrows his eyes. "...What? What do you mean, you're the one most deserving of my ire?"

"Well, you see..." Rook holds out his phone. "Here."

You gasp.

On Rook's screen is the Royal Sword icon. The screen illustrates a bright blue color, showing that Rook had voted for the opposite team.