Epel The Equestrian

You sit under an apple tree while you read a book. It's a few days until the SDC festival starts and you want to have a moment to breathe after the hectic job that is being the team manager. You sigh and let yourself get lost in a good book.

   "Hey, Y/N."

   You jump, slightly startled by the voice. Looking up, you see Epel.

   "Oh, sorry." He rubs the back of his neck. "I didn't mean to frighten ya."

   You laugh. "It's okay. I blame the book." You hold up the red bound book. "There was a pretty intense part that you caught me on."

   "What's the book about?" Epel takes a seat next to you.

   "It's about a dalmatian family trying to save theirs and other puppies from this fashion crazed woman." You explain. "Apparently she loved the puppies soft fur and spots and wanted to make a coat out of them. So she puppynabbed a hundred and one of them."

   Epel's eyes widen. "Geez. That's a bit intense."

   You nod vigorously. "I know, right? I just got to this crazy chase scene where that crazy woman is chasing after them."

   "Ain't no wonder why ya got spooked so easily."

   You let out a small laugh. "Yup."

   "Y/N, ah was wondern'." Epel's cheeks flush as he clears his throat. "I was wondering if you would like to accompany me on a little trip."

   "Sure." You smile. "Where to?"

   Epel grins. "Tis a surprise."

   "Okay." You put your book into your bag and stand. "Lead the way."

   "Okay, when you said trip, this wasn't the first thing that came to mind."

   You stare in surprise as Epel leads a horse out of the stables. The horse itself is a beautiful dusty white with black legs. Epel smiles as he stops in front of you.

   "You ain't scared of this ol' girl are ya?"

   "No. Maybe... okay. A little." You hold your arm. "Horses are just giant animals that could trample you easily. What's to be afraid of?"

   Epel laughs. "Don't worry. I won't let anything happen to you."

   He holds out a hand to you. You look from his hand to the horse. Her big eyes just look at you thoughtfully. You take Epel's hand and he helps you climb onto the horse. He climbs up and sits in front of you.

   Epel glances at you over his shoulder. "Just hold onto to me if you need to."

   With a gentle snap of the reins, the horse starts trotting forward. Slightly surprised, you wrap your arms around Epel's waist. You start to feel your cheeks flush. Epel leads the horse past the school and into the woods behind the building. Many trees sway in the gentle breeze. It's almost peaceful and serene riding through the woods. You sigh and lay your head against his back.

   "Have you always been this good with horses?" You ask.

   Epel nods, slightly flustered. "Y-yeah. I've been workin' with horses since I was little. Back on the farm, we have horses to help pull the wagons full of apples."

   The terrain starts to steepen as Epel leads the horse uphill. Once on top, Epel pulls the reins back for the horse to stop. He hops off and helps you down. Your legs slightly wobbles, not used to solid ground yet.

   Epel ties the horses reins to a low hanging branch so she doesn't wander off. Epel then takes your hand and excitedly leads you through the trees. The sun begins to lower in the sky.

"Okay, where are we going?" You laugh.

"You'll see."

Epel eventually comes to a stop. What you see catches your breath away. There's a beautifully set picnic blanket and a basket full of food. Little candles light up the area and fairy lights hand in the tree branches above. Being on top of the hill shows you the perfect view of the sunset.

You look to Epel. "What is all this?"

"Well, I noticed you runnin' around and wearin' yourself out." Epel shyly looks to the picnic basket. "So I set this up for you. To give you a little break."

"Wow, this is..." You suddenly wrap your arms around the boy. "Thank you so much, Epel. This is amazing."

Epel blushes as he hugs you back. "I-it twas nothin'. I'm so glad you like it."

Epel holds you close, wanting this moment to last forever. You pull back and take his hands, dragging him to the blanket.

"Now let's try all that amazing looking food!"