A Prince With Naught

You open your eyes and you find yourself in a familiar inky room. Looking around, you spot Leona standing alone in a spotlight. You cautiously walk over to him. Leona looks at you over his shoulder.

   Standing next to him, Leona looks to the ground. "From the moment I was born, there's been a boulder on top of me that's too heavy to move."

   An image appears in front of you. It shows a beautiful sunrise over a savanna. In the palace walls, servants are discussing amongst themselves.

   "Crown prince Falena is such a bright and cheerful young man. I don't understand why his younger brother has to be so moody all the time."

   "And he possesses such a terrifying power! Imagine being able to turn anything to sand!"

   "Both of you, cease this conversation right now! What if someone overhears you?"

   The image fades away. You feel your heart aching for the lion. All his life he had to endure these rumors and negativity about him.

   "I bet that if I were the crown prince, this is what they would have said: Crown prince Leona is a judicious young man, look how he controls such powerful magic! I don't understand how Falena can be so carefree."

   Leona turns to you. "This is all because I was born second. They'd find fault in me no matter what, just so they could use it as a pretext to praise my brother. No matter what I do, I can never be the best."

   An image appears again, this time showing a luxurious room with the only light coming from a large window. A younger version of Leona sits at the window seal, staring out of the window.

   Someone else comes in. He was very large and muscular. He has bright orange hair flowing around him. This must be Leona's brother.

   "Leona! Why weren't you at today's ceremony?"

   "Ceremony? Ah, you mean the self-indulgent party where you show off your son to the people?" Leona rolls his eyes. "Yeah, sorry I missed that. I fell asleep."

   "Showing the people the face of their future king is an important affair."

   "Yeah, it's a happy day for sure Falena. Also known as the day the despised second son loses what little claim he had to the throne forever."

   Falena narrows his eyes. "Do not frame it in such terms!"

   Leona stands and walks over to his brother. "Must be nice to be the firstborn, huh? You can spend every day singing and napping and still become king."

   "Leona... You may never become king, but you are still wise. There is much you could do for this country."

   "And maybe if this country selected its kings on the basis of intelligence, I'd be motivated to do something with that wisdom." Leona walks out the room.

   The image fades with Falena running after Leona. The image becomes part of the dark walls that surrounds you. Leona whirls around and steps away from you.

   "Why do I have to spend my life feeling this way,
just 'cause I was born a few years too late? No matter how hard I study, no matter how powerful the magic I command..." Leona trails off, running a hand through his hair.

   "From the day I was born till the day that I die, no one will ever acknowledge that I'm better than my brother. I will never be king. Why did I have to be born second?" Leona collapses onto his knees. "Why will I never, ever get to be the best?"

   You watch on silently, listening to everything Leona has to say. You walk over and kneel in front of him. You take Leona's hands in yours, surprising him. You look into his emerald eyes.