Winter Break is Here

You feel a cool breeze blowing across your face. You open your eyes and see the night sky above you. Thousands of stars visible in the clear night. Sitting up, you feel the ground shift beneath you.

"What the..."

You see you're sitting on a sand dune somewhere in a vast desert. You hear the sound of something thumping on the sand, getting closer.

Peering over the edge of the dune, you see a short man riding a horse approaching another rider. The other rider sits atop a black horse. He wears black and crimson red clothes, styled to be cool in the desert heat. The man also has a tall hat with a red feather pinned by a crimson jewel.

The short man hops off his horse, pulling his scarf down from his face.

"You... are late, Gazeem."

The short man bows his head. "A thousand apologies, O patient one."

"You have it then?"

Gazeem grins, holding up an item wrapped in a cloth. "I had to slit a few throats to get it."

The man on the horse reaches down but Gazeem holds it out of his reach . "Ah, ah, ah. The treasure."

"Awk!"

A parrot swoops down and swipes the item out of his hands. Gazeem clutches his hand as the parrot drops the item to the man on the horse.

The man on the horse chuckles darkly. "Don't worry my pungent friend. You'll get what's coming to you."

"What's coming to you." The parrot repeats. "Awk!"

The man on the horse holds up the item. It looks like half a scarab made of gold. The man holds up the second half and the pieces connect together. The scarab glows brightly, using its wings to speed over the sand dunes.

"Quickly!" The man shouts. "Follow the trail!"

The two take off on their horses. You feel yourself being pulled towards them. It was almost like you were riding beside them.

"Faster!"

The scarab circles around a dune, separating and landing in the sand. The ground rumbles as the sand rises. The sand shifts and forms a large lion head with the scarab pieces as its eyes. It opens its mouth, revealing steps that goes down its throat.

The men hop off their horses and approach the lion. The tugging finally stops and you hide behind The taller man grins at the living, breathing sand.

"At last, after all my years of searching." He grins. "The Cave of Wonders."

"Awk! Cave of Wonders!" The parrot says.

Gazeem stares in awe. "By Allah..."

The taller man grabs Gazeem by his scarf. "Remember, bring me the lamp! The rest of the treasure is yours but the lamp is mine."

The tall man shoves Gazeem, causing him to stumble. Gazeem grins as he approaches the lion.

"Awk! The lamp! Awk!" The parrot glowers at the tall man. "Jeez, where'd you pick this bozo up?"

The tall man quietly shushes the bird. Before Gazeem could take another step closer, the lion roars, sending him flying back. You flinch, the lion glares ferociously at Gazeem.

"Who disturbs my slumber?" The tiger asks. His voice low and powerful.

"I-it is I. Gazeem." He gets in his knees and bows. "A humble thief."

"Know this," The lion informs. "Only one may enter here. One who's worth lies far within. A diamond in a rough."

Gazeem stands, nervously glancing back. The tall man gestures with an arm. "What are you waiting for? Go on!"