Plan Synchronizing

"Huh. That's actually not half bad, dude." Ace says to Riddle.

   Deuce nods. "That is quite the plan, Housewarden Rosehearts!"

   "Sounds like 'ol Cay-Cay has a lot of prep work to do before the big day!"

   "Thank you, Cater." Riddle nods to the orange haired boy. "Take care not to raise any suspicions."

   "So, H-B-U, Jack?" Cater turns to the wolf. "You heard Riddle's plan. Are you in? Or out?"

   Jack nods. "There's nothing cowardly about it, at least. I suppose we can work together this one time."

   Grim rolls his eyes. "Really feelin' the trust there, Jack."

   "Cool beans." Ace says. "Let's all get back to our dorms for today. I know I'm about ready to keel over."

   Grim hops from Deuce's shoulder and jumps into your arms. "Yeah, and I'm starving!"

   Riddle nods. "Very well. Let us return to our dorms."

   Cater and Riddle take their leave. Jack leans in to whisper. "Man, I thought he looked like a wuss, but your housewarden is one scary dude."

   Ace nods. "You ain't wrong. Mistake him for a friendly hedgehog and you'll quickly learn he's actually a furious porcupine."

   You hug Grim close to your chest. "Well, I guess we should head to Ramshackle. Goodnight everyone."

   You wave to the boys and start walking away. Deuce and Ace wave as you leave but Jack only stares at your departing form.

   There was something about you that Jack couldn't understand. Why does he want to walk with you to make sure you made it to your dorm safely? Why does he feel the need to protect you? Jack shook his head. Maybe spending time with these guys wouldn't be as bad as he thought if he could be with you.

   In the Savanaclaw lounge, few students were still out since it had gotten dark. The lounge only being lit by the light of the waterfall.

   "Ruggie, what's this I heard about you gettin' chased around by the Heartslabyul kids at lunch?" Leona paced back and forth in front of the hyena. "You idiot! I told you a thousand times to make sure you didn't leave any evidence behind!"

   "I... I didn't! That was some kind of a fluke." Ruggie promised. "You don't need to worry about a thing, Boss. They've got no evidence whatsoever. Cross my heart and hope to die!"

   Leona scoffs. "Anyway, I secured the cooperation of that creepy squid at Octavinelle, but it didn't come cheap. If you idiots mess things up on tournament day, I am gonna fry you up and eat you myself."

   "The main dish is coming along nicely." Ruggie reassured.

   A Savanaclaw student nods in agreement. "Don't worry. We're gonna have those Diasomnia jerks pleading for mercy on tournament day!"

   "I do look forward to watching this all play out." Ruggie laughs. "Oh, how the world will praise us when they see you standing over a battered Malleus Draconia! Maybe some top corporate recruiters will even take an interest in a little ol' hyena like me."

   "Even the pro leagues will be scouting you!" The student jumps in.

   Leona rolls his eyes. "Look at all'a you, celebratin' when you've only just sunk your claws into your prey."

   "You're gonna be the most famous of all, Leona!"

   "Everyone in the Sunset Savanna is gonna have some second thoughts about who should be the next king!"

   Leona folds his arms. "Succession ain't got nothin' to do with ability."

   Ruggie tilts his head. "Huh?"

   "Nothin'." The lion lets out a huge yawn. "I'm headin' to bed. All of you, scram."

   "Yessir." Ruggie salute Leona. "Sleep well, Housewarden."

   Leona looks to the waterfall as they all leave. His eyes narrow in thought. "As if conquerin' this school is gonna fix anything in the real world..."