All Alone

Back in the control room, the technicians type away in their computers.

"Ortho has brought Subjects B and D to the simulation room."

"Instruments calibrated. Ready to collect data. Commencing recording at 2200."

Ortho looks to the camera. "All subjects have been equipped with testing gear."

Idia nods. "Okay. Go ahead and start test one for Subjects B and D."

"Roger! Virtual enemy mode, standby. Commencing dive!"

An image appears on screen with Leona and Jamil in the same training room.

"Where are we?" Jamil asks. "This definitely isn't the same room."

Leona tilts his head, firing a spell at the wall right next to Jamil. "Looks like we can use magic now."

"Hey!" Jamil shouts indignantly.

"Oh, I get it. These headsets are showing us some kind of virtual space."

Ortho and a few Charon troopers appear in front of the two. "Glad to hear you've caught on! Let's get this test started!"

"Test one complete. Subjects are cooling down within the sim."

"Subject B and D's vital signs are all normal. Blot accumulation is within the standard range."

"Simulator has synched with the Lachesis System. Test two is ready to go."

Idia waves a hand. "Okay, moving right along."

Ortho nods. "Roger! Virtual enemy mode, standby.
Commencing dive!"

A new image appears on the screen. It shows Leona and Jamil in the school's botanical garden. The two look around in confusion.

"Heeey, Leona!"

The two whirl around and see Ruggie and Kalim approaching them.

Kalim smiles as he rushes towards Jamil. "Jamil! I finally found you! You can't just leave me like that!"

Jamil looks at Kalim in surprise. "...sorry, Kalim."

Ruggie walks to Leona. "Leona, you've got 'til the end of the day to turn in that potionology report. Professor Crewel was gettin' on my case, so I'm gonna make sure you-"

Leona fires a spell at Ruggie before he could get any closer. Ruggie staggers back.

"WHOA! What's your problem, Leona?"

Leona laughs. "Well, I'll be. That's pretty slick. They must be messin' with my head and projecting an image of Ruggie from my memories."

Ruggie flattens his ears. "Huh? What're you talkin' about?"

"You were gonna wait 'til I let my guard down, then blast me from behind, weren't ya?" Leona smirks. "Nice try."

"Ah, I see. If this is part of how they're measuring blot accumulation," Jamil looks to Kalim with a grin. "Then these guys will probably say all sorts of upsetting things to us. That IS rather slick."

Kalim backs up. "Jamil? What's the matter? Why do you have that scary look on your face?"

"Well," Leona grins. "Let's get this test or whatever over with."

Jamil nods. "Right."

"Oof, that was quick. They figured out how the system worked immediately." Idia tilts his head. "Leona's probably the guy who always knows he's dreaming. Where's the fun in that? Jamil's stress levels barely moved too. How did these guys ever overblot? And Vil, for that matter?"