Press Gang Contract

You enter the Hall of Mirrors and see students from Heartslabyul, Savanaclaw, Scarabia and Pomefiore all clustered together. All have an anemone on their head as they all slowly march together.

"I was so sure I'd make the top fifty!"

"Blast it all, I've been had! That cheating cephalo-punk!"

"My school life is doomed now. Doooomed!"

Jack looks around at the gathering in shock. "It's not just the three stooges... There are other students here with sea anemones coming outta their heads. I'm seeing some sophomores and juniors in here, too. And they're all going through the mirror leading to Octavinelle Dorm."

You scratch your head, puzzled at what's going on. "They're all complaining about their test placement..."

Jack narrows his eyes. "Let's head over and see what's up."

You and Jack wait until the last student steps into the dorm before stepping into the mirror. What you see on the other side takes your breath away.

The dorm looks like it's under the sea. Huge purple coral spirals and twists together to shape the dorm, looking like an underwater palace. Sea grass and plants wave in the gentle currents.

"Wow, the whole dorm is underwater!" You say in amazement.

"For real!" Jack stares in wonder. "Night Raven College is so cool!"

You smile at Jack, seeing him break his tough guy act for once. He looks away and clears his throat.

"Just remember we're treading on another dorm's turf. Keep your wits about you."

You nod and you both enter the dorm. Upon walking in, you're greeted by a massive gathering of students. All have anemones on their heads. You look around at the stylish lounge area.

"I think we found where the Anemone Gang all went." You say to Jack.

"There's gotta be a hundred-no, closer to two hundred people here." Jack gently holds your shoulder and leads you to the back of the gathered crowd. "What is this place, anyway? Some kinda coffee shop? Where did Ace and the others go?"

"Well, well, well. What have we here?"

You whip your head to see the boy you met at the opening ceremony. He's stylishly dressed in his dorm uniform, standing atop the blue lighted stairs that leads to the bar. The twins stand on either side of Azul. Jack holds you close by your shoulders protectively upon noticing them.

"A band of unfortunate souls who failed to break into the top fifty. Welcome to the Mostro Lounge."

Azul does a mock bow. "I'm sure you're all WELL aware of who I am, but let's go over it again anyway. My name is Azul Ashengrotto. I am the housewarden of Octavinelle Dorm, the manager of the Mostro Lounge cafe, and as of today," Azul smirks. "you have to listen to everything I say."

Jack twitches an ear. "Say what?"

Azul pushes his glasses into place. "You made a bet with me, and subsequently lost. As per terms of our contract, you are to devote yourself to my service until such time as you graduate."

"Hey, hold on."

You hear a familiar voice.

"This is all a huge scam!"

Azul looks down at the speaker. "You're... Ace Trappola, a freshman, if memory serves. Your accusations are insulting, frankly."

Azul holds a hand to his chest. "I upheld my end of the bargain and provided you with an impeccably flawless study guide for your exams. If you used it properly, you should have scored at least a ninety."

"Yeah, and I did." Ace continues. I got a ninety two!"

Azul grins. "Why, that's wonderful news! I'm delighted to have been of service."

Ace glares at Azul. "But you never told me you'd given the same study guide to this many other people!"

"Yeah, Ace is right." Deuce shouts next to Ace. "No study guide could help us break into the top fifty when the deck's this stacked!"

Grim nods vigorously. "When everybody else is scorin' over ninety, even with my eighty five, my spot in the rankings is no different than when I was failin'!"

Azul only smirks. "Have you boys never heard of client confidentiality?"

Azul continues in a mocking tone. "I want an easy way to score high marks. I don't want to flunk out. I want to goof off until the night before the test... All of you fools, I mean, gentlemen, had your own reasons for seeking my help with your finals."

Azul continues. "Details such as who made a contract with me, what kind of contract it was, and why it was made... That's all privileged data."

Azul shrugs and tilts his head. "Who am I to divulge someone's personal information to a third party? I am a man of integrity, thank you very much. You will find this exact topic covered extensively in the non-disclosure agreement clause on page one hundred and twenty seven of your contract. I simply abided by its terms."

"O-okay," Grim hops on to Deuce's shoulder. "then what happens to the fire magic I put up as collateral for the study guide?"

"Y-yeah!" Another student calls out. "And what about my water magic?"

"Give me back my signature spell!"

"What's this? Have you really forgotten the terms of your contract?" Azul pulls out a golden scroll from inside his jacket. He reads it out loud.

"I will provide you with a final exam study guide. In exchange, you will leave one 'personal specialty' in my possession. Should you earn a spot among the school's fifty highest achievers, your power will be returned to you and I will continue to provide you with study guides for all exams until such time as you graduate. However, in the event that you do not earn a spot among the school's fifty highest achievers, you will act with absolute obedience to me until such time as you graduate."

Azul rolls the scroll and tucks it back into his jacket. "As outlined in the contract, I now control every part of your beings down to every last hair on your heads. In other words, your powers are mine, to return or not as I please."

Ace shakes his head. "That ain't fair!"

"You can really give your power with someone else?" You run a hand through your hair. "No wonder Grim and Ace stopped fighting, they couldn't use magic at all."

Jack growls. "Y'know, I've been listening to this whole spectacle and ALL of you disgust me!"

The whole room goes quiet, everyone turning around to the wolf in shock. Ace and Deuce look relieved to see you.

Azul's eyes widen in surprise. "Jack? What are you doing here?"