A Lesson Learned

You're in the headmage's office as you explain the nights events with the others jumping in to add their interpretations. Crowley has a large wooden desk with floating portraits behind him. Each one has a picture of what you guessed to be the great seven. As you finish telling what happened, Crowley put a hand to his chin in thought.

"Hmmm. So a mysterious monster was living in the mines. And the four of you worked together to destroy it, and then brought its magestone back to me?" He gave you all a quizzical look.

"I don't know that I'd call it working together." Ace disputed.

Deuce nodded. "It was more like we just happened to share the same goal at the same time."

You roll your eyes at them. Leave it to those two to argue about teamwork.

"Oh, gracious... Ohhh... Ohhhhhhhh!" The headmage bursted out sobbing. All three of you take a step back, surprised at the sudden outburst. Grim looked up at you in your arms.

"What is this guy's deal? Burstin' into tears in public? At this age!" Says Grim.

"In all the decades I've worked at this school..." Crowley dabs his eyes with a handkerchief. "The day has finally come when the students of Night Raven College have joined hands together to defeat a common foe!"

"Whoa! No! No way would I join hands with that guy!" Deuce waved at Ace.

Ace scoffed. "Okay, one, there was no joining of hands. Gross. And two, exactly HOW old are you, headmage?"

"At this moment, I am moved beyond words." Crowley puts a hand to his chest. "This incident has proven my hopes were justified. Y/N, my doubts are allayed! For you... You possess the talents of a beastmaster!"

"A... a beastmaster?" You ask. "What talents are those, exactly?"

"My students have all been selected by the Dark Mirror for their exceptional talent and potential. But great talent begets great pride and big egos. Most are so self-reliant and self-centered that they never even consider cooperating with others."

You throw a glance at the two boys on either side of you and grin. Guess you got that right.

Grim huffed. "You make it sound like that's a bad thing."

"But you, Y/N, possess no magic." Crowley continues, ignoring Grim. "Yet in spite of that - or perhaps because of it - you were able to convince those who CAN use magic to work together for a common goal. The everyday, humdrum mundanity you possess may be exactly what Night Raven College needs!"

"But... none of those words are good things?" Questioned Ace.

Crowley focuses entirely on you. "Y/N, I am convinced that people like you are necessary for the future of this school. My educator's intuition tells me so. Trappola, Spade - I hereby revoke your pending expulsions! Furthermore, Y/N... I am granting you the qualifications necessary to attend at Night Raven College!"

"WHAT?" Ace and Deuce shout in unison.

"As an actual student?" You hug Grim tighter to your chest. "But I don't have any magic."

"Of course. This is extraordinarily kind of me." Crowley congratulates himself. "However, there is one condition. "Your inability to use magic is, for a mage, unacceptable. You would not be able to adequately pursue the school's curriculum! As for you, Grim... Your actions today have made it clear that you possess sufficient talent to become a mage. In light of the total sum of your respective circumstances, you and Y/N will share a single enrollment at Night Raven College."