Cooking With Spice

You and Grim walk out into the chilly morning air. It appears to have snowed the previous night. Grim hops excitedly in the snow.

"Ooh, check it out, Y/N! We got a whole blanket of snow out here!"

You shiver and hold your jacket tighter. "No wonder it was chilly last night. We'd better check on the fireplace."

Grim nods. "Yeah, maybe the fire fairies are feelin' the chill, too. Better bring 'em some firewood. Ooh, and I can check out the kitchen an' see if they got any leftovers while I'm there!"

Inside the school cafeteria, you make your way to the large fireplace. You breath into your hands to try to warm them up.

Grim hops onto a table. "Geez, it was cold out there! My paws feel like icicles! Y/N, hurry up and get that firewood in the fireplace."

You grab a couple logs and put them into the dim fireplace. Almost immediately the wood lights aflame. Little orange balls of light fly out from the fireplace. They swirl all around you and come to a stop in front of you. You can see the fairies look like living fire.

"You guys must be the fire fairies." Grim fluffs up his fur. "I'm feelin' warm and fuzzy just being near you."

The fairies giggle, which sounds like a little bell, and fly back into the fireplace. You hear a clatter and the sound of food cooking.

"What's that I hear over the crackling fire? Chopping? And..." Grim smells the air. "Sizzling meat? And now my nose is tinglin' with the spicy aroma of foreign cuisine! It's coming from the kitchen. Let's see what's up, Y/N!"

Grim immediately bolts to the kitchen. You race to catch up. "Grim! Wait!"

Upon entering the kitchen, you see it's a burst of activity. Students wearing the Scarabia dorm uniform are stationed at different places in the kitchen, all cooking or prepping food.

One student stands at the center of the room, giving directions. He wears dark-red eyeliner and his uniform consists of a black and red, cropped sleeveless jacket, sleeveless hoodie, a yellow belt, and black parachute pants. The jacket has a red underlining, wavy gold stripes on the sides, gold trim, and a red sailor-like collar with a black, wavy stripe along the sides. Connecting both sides of the jacket is one gold chain. Under the jacket is a black sleeveless hoodie with red underlining, gold hoodie strings with tassels at the ends, and a gold, wavy stripe along the top of the hood. He wears the hood over his head. The uniform includes a few golden accessories, including a collar necklace, a bracelet, and an arm cuff shaped like a snake. You remember his name is Jamil.

"Once you're done cooking the vegetables, boil the thawed meat. Don't forget to add the nuts once the oil is heated."

"Yes, sir!" The students call out.

One student approaches Jamil. "Vice Housewarden, will one tablespoon of spices be enough?"

Jamil nods. "The housewarden's palate veers spicy. Add another teaspoon."

Grim walks in with his paws on his hips. "What's goin' on in here? It's winter break, but the kitchen's full of students!"

Jamil turns and notices you standing by the door. His eyes lights up when he sees you. "It's you..."

Jamil walks to stand next to you. His golden hair accessories jangle with every step. You smile as he approaches. "I remember you. We met before the tournament, right?"

Jamil chuckles. "Yes, we had a brief chat back when I got injured before the Spelldrive tournament." He tilts his head. "You're names were Y/N and Grim, yes?"

"Dang, you got a good memory, uhhh..." Grim falters. "What was your name again?"

"It's Jamil." He bows and holds your hand. "Jamil Viper, vice housewarden of Scarabia Dorm." Jamil places a gentle kiss on your hand. "I make it a point to memorize people's names and faces. Not to mention, you two have made quite the names for yourselves since you first enrolled."

Jamil let's go of your hand and smiles. "You'd be hard-pressed to find anyone at this school who doesn't know who you are."

Grim's eyes widen. "Whoa... Really? Myah! Y'hear that, Y/N? We're famous!"

You rub the back of your neck. "I can't imagine why."

"At any rate..." Jamil tilts his head. "Why are you here on campus when it's winter break?"

You look to the ground. "Well..."

"We ain't got anywhere to go home to for the holidays." Grim steps in. "Not to mention, the headmage personally gave us a super-special job." Grim folds his arms, smirking proudly. "We're tendin' the fireplace. I'm as diligent and competent as they come! Only makes sense that the headmage would turn to me when he needs help!"

"Oh, is that a fact? The headmage personally asked you, you say..." Jamil thinks over the possibilities. "This could be my chance..."

"I didn't quite catch that." You say.

Jamil shakes his head. "I said that if the headmage is relying on you, you must be a tremendous talent indeed."

"Sorry to interrupt, Vice Housewarden," A Scarabia student appears next to you. "but I'm done prepping the vegetables."

Jamil nods. "I'll be right over."

The boy goes back to their task. Grim sniffs the air as various delicious aromas fill the room. "That soup you're makin' looks pretty good. I ain't ever smelled anything like it before."

"It's a traditional Scalding Sands recipe, you see-" Jamil pauses, as if a thought came to him. "Wait. An idea occurs to me. I'm sure something brought us together. Call it fate, destiny..."

"I would call it the Headmage." You giggle.

Jamil chuckles. "Would you care to join us for our meal?"

Grim perks up. "Really? You mean it?"

"Absolutely. It won't take much longer to finish." Jamil holds out a hand to you. "Why don't you two lend a hand?"

You smile and place your hand over his. "Of course."

Jamil smiles warmly, leading you further into the kitchen. Jamil has you help him put the vegetables into the pot and adding some spices into the mix. Eventually, the soup is finished and smells absolutely incredible.

"Woohoo! It's done!" Grim cheers. "Mmm, yeah, those spices are seriously drool-inducing."

"Good work. I couldn't have done it without your help." Jamil says to you. "Thank you. We'll eat in the dorm. Come with me."

Jamil takes your hand and leads you out of the kitchen. Grim trails alongside you. "Mya ha! You bet we're comin'! I can't wait to dig in. I'm starvin'!"