Uncertain Plight

Inside the Headmage's office, a couple of Charon troopers stand imposingly in front of Crowley and the other staff. Their blue eyes glowing in the dim light. The door bursts open as Trein marches in, slamming it shut behind him. He marches right up to the troopers.

"Who are you people?" Trein shouts. "And who gave you permission to come onto campus?"

"We are Charon, a special technomantic security force with Styx."

The room falls quiet. Crewel and Vargas glances at each other then back to the troopers. One of the Charon troopers steps closer to Crowley.

"You are Mr. Dire Crowley, head of Night Raven College, correct? We request you come with us."

Crowley nods. "Very well, I shall honor your request. And would you please refrain from roughing up our students?"

"We are authorized to use force if they refuse to come peacefully."

The Headmage sighs, shaking his head. "I can only hope no one gets hurt." Crowley follows the troopers to the door, glancing over his shoulder. "Professor Trein, I leave you in charge in my absence."

Trein's eyes grow large. "But headmage! Please just take a moment to explain-"

Charon leads Crowley out the door, taking off without a second glance. Trein shakes his head. "They're gone. What on Earth is Styx doing at Night Raven College?"

The other staff members don't say anything. Trein runs a hand across his face. "We cannot waste time fretting about things that are out of our control. Our first priority is to make sure our students are safe. Faculty, gather the housewardens."

Inside the Diasomnia dorm lounge, Malleus stands by the fireplace. It's lit with a bright green flame, casting a flickering green light across Malleus's face. He wears his dorm uniform. The uniform consists of a black coat with neon green and silver accents, jodhpur pants, black gloves, and a small garrison cap. The all-weather coat has asymmetrically colored lapels, with one black and one neon green. Both lapels have silver straps and buttons on them. Malleus's coat has neon green underlining. He wears a unique cuff around the right arm that resembles a dragon's wing. Malleus also wears a wide black collar around his neck with a ridged design similar to the shoulder cuff. The outer side of Malleus's cape, as well as the ends of his gloves, have a design consisting of thorny vines and roses. The end of his cape is jagged, and the underlining is deep purple. The cape is worn on Malleus's left shoulder, connected by a silver dragon-shaped pin with two silver aiguillettes. The sound of running footsteps catches his attention.

"Malleus!"

Malleus turns to see Silver and Sebek rushing towards him. "What's gotten you two in such a panic?"

Sebek places his hands on his knees as he catches his breath. "Thank goodness you're all right."

"Yes, I am quite the same as always." Malleus quirks an eye. "You two, on the other hand, appear to be injured."

"Sire," Silver says once he catches his breath. "unknown forces are attacking the school."

Malleus narrows his eyes. "Give me a full report."

Sebek nods and stands tall. "Unidentified soldiers clad in black armor came after Riddle."

"They attacked the stables, but paid no heed to anyone else." Silver adds. "We believe he was their sole target. They called him the 'subject' and were attempting to capture him alive."

"And what became of Rosehearts?" Malleus asks.

"We were powerless to stop them, and they departed with him before our very eyes." Sebek kicks at the ground.