A Heartfelt Salute

You and Epel stare wide eyed at Rook.

"I said at SDC that people are powerful when they truly believe in themselves and each other. And yet I set off alone without nary a word, leaving you both behind. Epel, you always stay true to your heart, and that makes you strong and beautiful."

Rook looks to you. "And Y/N, you have such a big heart. Always caring for this around you. You never cease to amaze me, ma belle. I'm ashamed to have lied to myself for such specious reasons."

What do you mean by that?" Epel asks.

"I feel just the same as you, Epel." Rook responds. "The truth was that I couldn't stand by while my boon companion came to harm. I'd convinced myself that it would be wrong to involve teachers or friends in my self-centered quest."

Epel chuckles. "Well, it's a little late for that. We've been wrapped up in this for a while now."

"D'accord. Very well, Epel, Y/N. Shall we undertake this journey together? My only condition is that you do exactly as I tell you. Can you promise me that?"

"Sure can do! I mean, yes sir!" Epel chuckles. "We did it, Y/N!"

You laugh and shake your head.

Rook looks to you with a smile. "Epel and I both have a tendency to charge headfirst and lose sight of what's around us. You, however, never fail to see the big picture. I'm sure your presence will be a real boon to us."

You smile brightly. "Thank you. I'll do everything I can to help."

Epel rubs the back of his neck. "I've never seen you lose sight of what's around you, Rook. I mean, the charging in headfirst part, sure..."

"Ah, but you have." Rook chuckles. "I smacked right into Y/N in the Hall or Mirrors because I failed to notice my surroundings."

Epel laughs. "I guess you did. You know, now that I'm thinking about it, a lot of people in Pomefiore pull reckless stunts, despite seeming calm and collected. Vil included."

"Tenacity is our dorm's credo, after all. And that could arguably mean mustering one's determination to face what must be faced. The Fairest Queen is usually depicted as aloof and statuesque in art and literature. But personally, I suspect she may have been rather active and energetic."

Epel nods. "I have a hard time imagining her flying off the handle and storming out on her own like we did. Surely she never would've done that."

You think back to the dreams you've had about her. "I wouldn't be too sure about that."

A low growl cause Rook to freeze. "Quiet. I hear an animal growling. It's close by."

Epel sheepishly laughs. "Sorry, umm, that was me."

"Oh là là!" Rook laughs. "And here I was, worried we'd incurred the wrath of some forest beast whose territory we disturbed."

Epel grins. "It's way past when I usually eat dinner."

Took shakes his head. "I can just imagine how Vil's beautiful brow would crease if he heard that. Very well, we shall have a quick repast before setting off. I'll go over our flight route while we dine."

Epel lets out a satisfied sigh. "I'm stuffed! Thanks for the meal, Rook."

You nod. "Yeah, it was great."

Rook smiles. "I'm just glad I thought to pack food and a camping kit."

Epel rubs the back of his neck. "We just took off right after you, so it didn't even cross my mind to bring food."