A Feline Sport

Leona uses the controller to bop the hydra's head whenever one appears from a cave. Occasionally a gold one would appear that would give double points or a goat man looking dummy that would take away points. Everyone crowds around Leona to watch him play, except Riddle who's still practicing his own game.

"Leona, the gold Hydra is worth more points!" Ortho urges.

"Don't hit the legendary trainer doll!"

Leona quirks an eye. "This doofy-lookin' guy's the legendary trainer? It's his own fault if he barges in and gets smacked."

Idia chuckles. "You're not wrong, but that's how the game works. No use whining about it."

"I think this is where more Hydra heads start popping up, Leona." Jamil observes.

Leona scoffs. "Why am I doing this again?"

Leona quickly wins the game and beats the high score.

"Wow! Look at that high score!" Ortho cheers. "What a testament to your sharp vision and quick reflexes!"

Leona rolls his eyes. "Great. So, how is this the game for me?"

"Well you see, there have been a bunch of viral videos showing cats pawing and pouncing at the Hydra gameplay screen." Ortho answers. "Feline fanatics would record their cats, then tag the videos with #CatVsHydra. Later, a researcher saw those videos. That person ran an experiment to see if lions would react the same way to The Hydra Strikes Back. They put some game footage on a screen, and sure enough, the lions watched with interest, and pawed and pounced just like the house cats did! According to the Styx database, you are a beastman with lion genes, Leona Kingscholar. So I predicted that if you played this game, you'd enjoy it and not get tired of it."

Jamil tries to hold in a laugh. "Ortho, no..."

Vil chuckles. "Oh, well played, Ortho. A perfect choice."

Leona just sighs.

"You were focused right from the start, and judging by your high score, my prediction was right on the mark." Ortho smiles. "I'm glad you enjoyed it!"

Idia bursts out laughing. "He's got a point. You might've acted disinterested, but that's a pretty high score. Did you feel compelled to keep chasing the Hydras?"

"Leona, beholden to his feline nature?" Vil smirks. "Who knew he could be so adorable?"

"Would you like to try another level?" Ortho asks.

"Sorry, kiddo." Leona stands from the chair. "They're absolutely right. I'm beholden to my feline nature, so I get REAL sleepy during the day. I'd love to play more, but I know I'd conk out before long. Go ahead and let someone else play."

Ortho's shoulders slump. "Oh, that's too bad."

Idia chuckles. "That's Leona for you. He's a real pro at getting out of stuff he doesn't wanna do."

"Have fun, guys. Here's the controller." Leona walks over to the couches, tossing the controller. Ortho quickly catches it.

Jamil only smirks. "Whoa, careful now. Looks like we put him in a foul mood."

"Don't worry about it." Vil folds his arms. "That's how he always is."

"Jamil Viper, would you like to play Hydra?" Ortho asks.

Jamil smirks. "Actually, I'm interested in seeing how Vil is at video games."

Vil quirks an eye. "Me?"

Jamil nods. "Yes. You've only been watching so far."

"I don't normally play, you know. It won't make for the most entertaining watch. But I suppose I was getting a tad bored just spectating. I might as well give it a go." Vil looks to Ortho. "Is there anything you would recommend, Ortho?"

Ortho nods excitedly. "I was hoping you'd ask! There's one game you MUST play, Vil Schoenheit! For a global supermodel and shining star, I present Star Rogue: A Hero's Dawn!"

Idia immediately perks up. "OUR LEGEND! POP OFF! This is the story of how one man became a hero. The year: Stellaris 1997. The Chronos Force invaded from the Titan Nebula, conquering the Planet Gaia and plunging it into chaos. The Gaia Dynasty was thought to have been wiped out in the invasion. However! One of their princes was raised in secrecy, his origin concealed from the Chronos Force! When his adoptive parents told him the truth about where he came from, he set forth on a journey to bring back his birth parents and restore peace to Gaia!"

Everyone stares at Idia.

"Uh, sorry, got carried away there..." Idia holds his arm, looking to the floor awkwardly. "The game's a shoot-em-up, but the story's just so thrilling. Anyway, uh, you're welcome to play it if you like..."

"Why are you suddenly acting so embarrassed?" Vil asks. "We didn't say a word."

"Yeah, Idia." Ortho says. "You should be proud of your favorite game!"

"They'll get the appeal way better by playing it than from me prattling on." Idia waves a hand. "So go on, try it out."

"I've had minimal experience with this type of game, to be clear." Vil informs.

"Then I'll set it to beginner mode." Ortho holds out the controls. "Here's your controller, Vil Schoenheit! Now then..."

"Shoot for glory among the stars and soar like a comet!" Idia and Ortho both cheer.