Fair Vignette

You open your eyes and see the inky black walls surrounding you. You see Vil on his knees in the spotlight. You walk over to him but he keeps his gaze to the floor. The screen flashes on and an image appears.

You see what appears to be a large living room. It looks luxurious with exquisite furniture and rugs. You're not surprised that Vil's house looks just as elegant as him. You see a little Vil running to a man sitting on of the couch.

"Dad! Dad! I passed the audition! I'm going to be in a musical school drama!"

His dad hugs him. "Congratulations, Vil! What are you playing this time?"

"Oh, the star..." Little Vil's smile falters. "Well, the star's rival. It's another mean villain."

"The director's got smarts, picking the cutest boy in the world as his villain."

"I was a villain bullying the hero in the last play I was in, too." Vil shakes his head and steps back. "Why do I keep getting picked to play the bad guy? Do I really look that mean?"

"Oh, far from it." His dad reassures. "I think it's because you're an exceptionally beautiful, charming boy. Stories wouldn't have any dramatic flair without villains. They're an essential, special part of any production. Sometimes productions are more selective about their villain casting than their hero casting. You should be proud."

Little Vil tilts his head. "I get it, dad."

You take a seat next to Vil, gently placing a hand to his arm. Vil doesn't look at you as he runs a hand through his hair.

Vil takes a shuddering breath. "But villains never stay on stage for the whole play. Once their role is finished, all they do is watch from the shadows as the happy ending plays out. What I want is to stay on the stage longer than anyone else."

The image on the screen changes. You see a slightly older Vil walking around a village. A group of kids eye him as he passes.

"Hey, look! That's the guy who was bullying the hero on the TV show last night!"

The kids surround Vil, glaring at him.

"How can anyone be so mean? He must be pretty messed up."

"He looks like a wimp up close. Let's teach him not to treat the hero like that!"

Vil glares at the bullies.

"Hey!"

A newcomer approaches. You realize it's Jack when he a kid. Even as a kid he looks super tough.

"You bullies better not even think of ganging up on him!"

The bullies all scram.

"It's Jack!"

"Run for it!"

Jack looks to Vil. "You're the new kid who just moved in, right? You okay?"

"I'm trained in boxing and fencing. I could've fended them off without your help."

"O-oh, really?" Jack flicks an ear. "Sorry for butting in, then."

Vil chuckles. "Don't be. Thank you. Those kids were trying to hold me accountable for a work of fiction. Silly boys, the lot of them."

"I don't watch much TV, so I'm not an expert on this stuff, but..." Jack scratches his neck. "It sounds to me like your acting was so convincing, they thought it was real."

"I suppose so. Then I'll win the lead role in my next audition and move them to tears."

The image fades and you look to Vil. He sighs and tilts his head away from you. "I always aim for one role, the hero. But... All I ever get to be is the villain."

The image reappears with what looks like a school hallway and a film crew milling around. They talk amongst themselves.

"Did you hear? That movie adaptation of a children's novel starring Neige pulled in twenty million thaumarks its first week!"

"Neige is just incredible. That friendly charm and wholesome vibe comes naturally to him."

"Vil was pretty impressive as the villain, himself. He carries himself with real dignity. You'd never guess he was only twelve years old. He's gonna be the hero one of these days."

A crew member shakes his head. "I don't know. The thing about Vil is, he's TOO perfect. His beauty is otherworldly. Vil is too special to play the part of a regular teen that viewers can relate to. Without that relatability, I don't think he'll ever pull off playing a hero."

The screen fades to black and disappears completely. You feel like you can understand at least a little bit of what Vil was going through now. He's always been typecasted as a villain and had to compete with Neige for the same role. That must've been incredibly hard on him.

"I would do anything to be beautiful." Vil clenches his fists. "The most rigorous training. The most tedious hair and skin care regimens. I would shy away from none of it. And yet... Why? Why is it never me? All I want is to stay on stage until the end of the show."

Your heart breaks for him. You wrap Vil in a hug, taking him by surprise.

"What are you doing?"

"You looked like you needed someone in your corner." You hold him close, smiling softly. "You know, it's not a hug if you don't hug back."

Vil hesitates but he wraps his arms around you. He rests his head against your shoulder and sighs. "I'm sorry you had to see the worst side of me, Y/N."

You let out a small laugh. "I honestly don't think you can have a bad side. You look great from every angle."

"No, that's not what I meant." Vil lifts his head and looks into your eyes. "I couldn't stand the thought that someone else was better than me. More charming, more beautiful, more... loved. No matter what I did, it was never enough."

Vil looks to the floor, his hair falling against his face. You gently brush his hair back. Vil looks to you in surprise.

"Vil, you don't need to depend on the attention of random strangers. There are many students who look up to you."

Vil scoffs. "I highly doubt that."

"But it's true. Rook supports you in every possible way he can. Though he may not admit it, Epel does too." Your cheeks flush. "And... I think you're pretty incredible."

"You do?"

"Yeah, I mean..." You look away, mumbling. "You're incredibly strong, talented, and without a doubt, the most beautiful person I've ever met."

Vil smiles, gently placing a hand to your cheek to make you look at him. "Y/N, I now see that you are the fairest of them all."

You place a hand against his. "I don't think I can even compete with you, but thanks."

Vil chuckles and pulls you in for another hug, holding you close. "You were right."

"About what?"

"I definitely needed someone in my corner. And I'm glad that it was you."