An Early Impact

The boys get into positions on the stage. The music plays and they sing and dance like before. You're not sure what it is, be it the stage or the lights, but the boys look incredible. Deuce really found his rhythm and has vastly improved since he first started.

When the song was over, Kalim came running to you excitedly. "Y/N! What'd you think of our performance?"

You laugh. "You guys were amazing! You were all on fire!"

The others gather around you.

"The stage was way bigger than our practice room." Epel says. "But it felt kind of nice to dance without worrying about being cramped."

"Even you're coming around." Jamil chuckles.

"I'd like to review our footage right now." Vil states. "And not just the front; I want to know how it looks from both sides."

A news reporter rushes to the group before they could do anything. He eagerly approaches Vil. "Great work, Vil! That was the best performance I've ever seen! I got goosebumps just watching! We're with a Shaftlands news program. Could you spare some time for an interview to be shown on our evening news?"

Vil nods. "Certainly."

"Thanks! Night Raven College got selected as this year's SDC host school. So I'm sure there was a lot of pressure on you. But I'd have never guessed it from the flawless performance you put on! Your powerful singing, your sharp dance moves... It wasn't just good for students, it was professional to a tee! It's hard to find groups as good as yours the world over. And I'd expect nothing less from a team led by Vil Schoenheit!"

"Thank you kindly." Vil smirks. "We went through some very rigorous rehearsals to get here, so I'm delighted you enjoyed it. We'll have an even better performance at showtime, no, we'll have the fairest in the land. Don't miss it."

"After a first act this strong, I think I'll end up watching the following acts with a much more critical eye."

"Ooh!" Grim perks his ears. "That's a promisin' start right there!"

"Actually, we're planning on posting ten-second promo videos to Magicam." The reporter continues. "They're going to include footage of the representative teams in their rehearsals, as a preview of what the SDC will be like live. The headmage has granted his permission already. I believe his words were, 'Whatever generates more hype for the SDC.' Would you be willing to review our footage?"

"I'd be happy to." Vil nods.

"Ah, I see now." Jamil places a hand to his chin. "On the surface, the SDC is purely a school music recital. They don't reveal song titles or lineup order until showtime. But it gets a lot of commercial attention, which necessitates advertising to build excitement."

Ace scratches his neck. "Sounds like a lot's going on under the cowl. But it makes sense to wait to the last minute. That way nobody can come up with counter-plays after watching another school's performance, or change their song."

The reporter smiles gratefully to Vil. "Thanks for your help! We'll be posting this video right now."

"No, thank YOU. Now, if you'll excuse me." Vil takes out his phone and walks away from the group.

Ace looks up the video on his own phone. "Oh, hey! The video just went up on the TV station's Magicam account!"

Deuce looks over his shoulder. "Whoa, you're right!" Deuce cringes. "I saw myself for a second there and I think my dancing is kind of stilted."

"Let me see!" Epel stands on his toes to look over Ace's shoulder. "Wow... The likes on the video just keep going up. It's getting shared all over."

"Ooh!" Kalim looks to his own phone. "I'm seeing lots of comments from Vil fans saying they've been waiting for this!"

Jamil nods. "In fact, most of the video centers on Vil."

"Let's see what viewers are saying." Rook looks over Kalim's shoulder. "Cool! Awesome! And more than anything else: Beautiful! It's clear how eager everyone is for the SDC."

You feel so happy for the guys. They worked so hard and definitely deserve the praise. You look to Vil who stands by himself. You walk over to check on him.

Vil looks down to his phone. "Mira, Mira. Tell me something."

"What would you like me to look up?"

"Who, at this moment, is the most beautiful of all?"

"Displaying results for account with the most comments using the word 'beautiful': Vil Schoenheit."

Vil's eyes widen in disbelief. You stand behind him. "Vil? Are you okay?"

Vil whirls around and grins ecstatically. "Am I okay? I'm more than okay!"

He wraps his arms around your waists and spins you around. You hold onto his shoulders in fear of falling.

Vil sets you down but still holds onto you. "This maybe the best day of my life!"

"I've never seen you so happy before." You laugh.

"How can one not be happy on this beautiful day?" Vil places his hands to your cheeks and rests his head against yours. "Finally. Everything is going as it should be."

You stare into his light purple eyes. "Vil..."

"Next up is the Royal Sword Academy group." A staff member announces. "Please stand by!"

Vil releases you as the others make their way towards you. Ace looks to the stage as the Royal Sword members get ready.

"Royal Sword Academy's going right after us?"

Deuce grins. "That's perfect. Let's see what kind of performance they've got."

"Good idea!" Kalim agrees. "Let's take a break in the audience seating and enjoy the show."

Vil folds his arms. "Not so fast. I told you that reviewing the footage and ironing out our flaws comes first."

Rook places a hand to his shoulder. "Now now, Roi du Poison. It's important to observe one's rival and get a full grasp of their capabilities."

"He's right, Vil." You say. "We can see what we're going up against."

Vil stares at you for a moment before he sighs. "I suppose you have a point. Let's see what Royal Sword Academy's representatives have to show us."

Vil smirks. "Not that it will hold a candle to our beauty, of course."