Impromptu Plans

"WHAT?"

Idia rolls his eyes. "Look, we went over this yesterday. Styx isn't a medical center for regular people. Didn't you hear the announcement? They're temporarily releasing dangerous Phantoms from Tartarus to test 'em and gather data. We've got the Cerberus System for defense, but there's still a chance things could go south. So everyone shuts themselves in rooms that double as shelters until the test is over. Just in case."

"I get the basic idea, but what is Tartarus?" Vil asks.

Idia holds his arm. "Oh, my bad. I was using work jargon."

"Tartarus is the name of a Phantom containment center that was built under Styx HQ." Ortho informs. "At least ten thousand subjects are held there."

Everyone's eyes widen. "TEN THOUSAND?"

Vil runs a hand through his hair. "I know you said you all brought in Phantoms from all over the world. But I didn't expect such a vast number."

Idia nods. "Tartarus was built in the Age of Gods, back when the first Shroud became Watchman. Members of Charon have been gathering specimens from all around the world ever since. It adds up."

"This place has been around since the Age of Gods?" Leona quirks an eye. "Ten thousand seems kinda low then."

"Well, plenty of 'em fade out over time." Idia shrugs. "But some of the Phantoms are so powerful, they've been in containment for over a thousand years and haven't faded a bit."

"Living as a hate-filled monster for over a millennium..." Vil shudders. "The thought sends a shiver down my spine."

"Styx classifies the Phantoms here into twelve groups based on threat level." Ortho adds. "The higher their threat level, the further down they're contained. The A-class subjects we're testing today are exceedingly dangerous. But don't worry! Outside of tests, they're kept frozen in sturdy cages. So no need to be scared! Plus, we have a robust defense system. Dad built the base model for it, and my brother perfected it six years ago. It's called the Cerberus System! We're safe and can feel right at home, even in an emergency!"

Leona quirks an eye. "Did you say RADISH SPROUT perfected the defense system?"

Vil folds his arms. "That's the opposite of reassuring."

Ortho tilts his head. "Aww, why? The Cerberus System's amazing! It's perfect, just like its namesake, the legendary guard dog of the Underworld! It covers the entire island, not just Tartarus. And even when unmanned, it's got three brains that determine the most optimal course of action against enemies-"

"Okay, that's enough, Ortho. These guys don't care one nano-iota about that stuff." Idia clears his throat. "Long story short, just take the L and find a way to pass the time in here for a while. I'm gonna go now."

"I take issue with you trying to slink away when we've yet to resolve matters." Azul folds his arms, tilting his head back. "You're not done here until you can offer us something to keep ourselves occupied."

Vil nods. "Agreed. I won't demand a treadmill, but you could at least provide a yoga mat."

"Personally, I'd like some kind of reference book or grimoire so I can brush up on my studies." Riddle adds.

Leona yawns. "An afternoon nap's the perfect way to kill a few hours."

"You'll throw off your sleep schedule if you nap that long, Leona." Vil says. "You'll be up all night."

Leona smirks. "Don't worry your pretty little head about me. I ALWAYS sleep well, thank you very much."

Vil sighs. "Must you constantly snipe at people?"