A Dance With Ruggie

You sit on the couch in your dorms foyer, reading a book you found in the library. The door bursts open, making you jump with a start. You put a hand to your chest as Ruggie saunters in.

"Is it alright if I chill here for a bit, Y/N?"

"Jeez Ruggie, you gave me a heart attack." You look to the hyena. "Why did you burst in here?"

Ruggie laughs sheepishly. "Well I was just messing with some Pomefiore guys and they decided to take it a little too personally."

You shake your head. "You're going to get into some serious trouble one of these days."

Ruggie shrugs. "That's a problem for future Ruggie."

The hyena flops on the couch beside you. He leans back with his arms folded behind his head. "So, whatcha reading?"

"It's about a princess and a prince who got turned into a frog."

"That's the most bizarre thing I've ever heard."

You laugh. "It is a little bit but the story is actually really interesting."

Ruggie quirks an eye. "How's a frog prince any interesting?"

"Well, he was turned into a frog by a voodoo shadow man."

The hyena's ears perk up. "Now that does sound interesting."

Ruggie takes the book out of your hands and examines it curiously. "Do you usually read stuff like this?"

"Sometimes, but I mostly like to draw."

"Ooh, can you draw a scene from the book?" Ruggie asks excitedly.

You tilt your head. "I possibly could, but why?"

Ruggie shrugs. "I've never seen your art before and I want to see what you can do."

You think for a moment. "Okay. Since you're so interested."

Remembering a beautiful scene in the book, you decide to use that as inspiration for your sketch. You draw the princess and the prince as they turn back into humans. The two hand in hand as magic swirls around them. It almost looks like they're dancing together on top a lily pad.

Satisfied with your work, you present it to Ruggie. He takes the paper in hand, examining the sketch closely. He finally looks to you.

"This is the best drawing I've ever seen!"

You shake your head. "Oh it's not that good."

Ruggie takes your hand. "I'm serious! I never really thought much about art but this is better than anything those pompous old farts made."

You can't help but laugh. "Thank you, Ruggie."

Ruggie's eyes light up. "Hey! Let's dance like those guys!"

"What?" You look to him surprised. "Why?"

"Why not?" Ruggie laughs, standing up. "Come on Y/N, dance with me?"

You tilt your head. "Do you even know how to dance?"

"Oh, what does it matter?" Ruggie waves you off. "It's just moving your body around isn't it?"

Ruggie takes your hands in his and pulls you to your feet, drawing you to an open spot in the foyer. Ruggie grins. "You aren't afraid are you?"

"No, I just..."

"Don't think too much, just dance!"

Ruggie starts dancing with you. Though it's more like Ruggie is spinning you around with him. You laugh and dance to the beat in your head. You twirl around with Ruggie, having more fun than you thought you would.

You accidentally trip over your own feet and tumble backwards, pulling Ruggie down with you. Ruggie falls on his back and you fall right next to him. You look to him and you both start laughing.

When your laughter finally dies down, Ruggie stares into your eyes, brushing a strand of your hair off your face. He stares at you a moment longer before he clears his throat and stands up.

Ruggie holds out a hand to help you up. He dust off your shoulders and laughs sheepishly. "Guess I do need to work on my dancing skills."

"Yeah, I could use the practice too." You laugh.

Ruggie smiles at you and turns back to your drawing on the coffee table. He picks it up and looks at again. Ruggie looks back to you.

"Is it okay if I keep this?" He asks you.

"Of course!" You mock bow. "I'd be honored to bestow upon you the only piece of art you like, my lord."

Ruggie laughs, patting your head. "As you should be lowly citizen."

You both laugh uncontrollably. You clutch your sides from laughing too hard. Once you can finally breath, you wrap Ruggie in a hug.

"What is this for?" Ruggie says, taken aback.

"Just to thank you for making me laugh." You say to the hyena. "I don't think I laughed like that in a long while."

Ruggie smiles and hugs you back. "Of course. I'm always good for a laugh."

Ruggie carefully tucks your drawing into his bag. He looks back to you. "I, uh, guess the Pomefiore guys are done chasing after me by now."

You smile at him. "Try not to get into any more trouble, Ruggie."

Ruggie shrugs, smiling. "Trouble? Me? You're only in trouble if ya get caught."

Laughing, Ruggie makes his way to the door. Opening the door, he looks back to you and waves. "Let me know if you ever need a laugh again."

"I will. Bye Ruggie."

Ruggie salutes you before closing the door behind him. He leans against the door, letting out a sigh. Ruggie pulls out your drawing and looks at it again. He smiles and walks happily back to Savanaclaw.