Jade Behind The Bar

You sit on the floor in your dorms lounge, taping your pencil against the coffee table. You try to sketch something but your unsure what to draw. Your phone lights up with a notification. Pausing your work, you open your phone to see Jade messaged you.

Please come to the Mostro Lounge. I am in need of your assistance.

You quickly type a reply saying that you'll be there shortly. You grab your bag and head off to the Hall of Mirrors.

The Lounge is surprisingly empty with not a student in sight. You look around, trying to spot Jade.

"Hey, I'm here." You call out.

"Over by the bar."

You walk up the steps and sure enough, Jade was behind the bar. He was in his dorm uniform but he took his coat off. You take a seat on one of the bar stools, setting your bag on the floor.

"What did you need my help with?" You ask.

Jade smiles at you. "I need your help in trying these new drinks I'm trying to make."

"Oh, are you sure you want my help?" You tilt your head. "I'm no connoisseur or anything."

"I asked for you because anyone else would just tell me what I'd want to hear in order to get a free drink." Jade answers.

You laugh. "Yeah, you're not wrong about that." You look around at the empty room. "Is that why no one is here?"

Jade nods. "Yes. Azul had me close the Lounge today in order to make new drinks for the menu. But I seem to be stuck on what to make."

"Well, I can try to help though I'm not sure how helpful I'll actually be." You giggle at yourself.

Jade smiles. "I just need you to tell me what drinks are best."

Jade brings a few glasses down from the shelf and sets them in front of you. He then grabs different flavors and drinks, mixing them together like a professional bartender.

"Wow!" You say, impressed by his skill. "How did you learn to do that?"

Jade laughs. "It took a lot of time and practice to get it right but eventually it's just second nature."

You nod. "That's just like me and drawing. It took a while but eventually I got better."

Jade tilts his head. "I didn't realize that you can draw. That's a most impressive skill."

You look away. "Oh, I don't know about that. I don't think I'm even that good."

Jade takes your hands in his. "It is best to never doubt your own abilities. No one would judge you if you're proud of the work you've done."

You smile up at him. "Okay. Thank you, Jade."

Jade smiles back and returns to the drinks. He pours a different one in each of the glasses. All with different colors and ingredients.

"Try them and tell me what you think." Jade leans against the counter.

There's four different drinks in front of you. One that's a pink and orange gradient with an orange slice, one that's a deep red with raspberries and a lemon slice on the rim, a blue one with mint leaves, and a purple one with dragon fruit.

You try each one, finding that they all taste amazing in their own way. You think thoughtfully about each one.

"They're all incredibly delicious, so any of them would be good to add to the menu." You say.

Jade steps close and leans towards you. "But which one would you order if you were a customer?"

You bring a hand to your chin in thought. "I think I would go for the purple one. It's refreshing and the dragon fruit adds a nice flavor to it."

Jade nods. "Then this one it is."

Jade puts away the glasses and cleans the counter. You lean against the bar. "Is there any bar trick ms you know?"

Jade glances over his shoulder at you, smiling. "There's a few I know. But my best one is being able to make someone their own signature drink."

"And they actually like the drink you made them?"

"Of course." Jade grins at you. "I can tell what they would like just by knowing them a little."

"Okay, so how does that work?" You ask.

"Simple." Jade gets a new glass and starts mixing some ingredients. "You can tell a lot about a person in their drink. I find out what they like in their drink. If they prefer sweet or sour, fruity or bitter."

Jade presents you a drink. It's peach colored with raspberries and lemon slices. It fizzes, making look all the more appealing.

You tilt your head at Jade. "And what does this drink tell you about me?"

"Your thoughtful and caring, maybe too much for your own good. But that's what makes you special" Jade leans in with a smile. "And you're cute."

You feel your cheeks redden. You take a sip of the drink to distract yourself. The drink Jade made you had to be the best thing you've ever had.

"Whoa, this is incredible!"

Jade bows his head. "Here at the Mostro Lounge, we serve only the best."

You laugh. "Maybe you should put this one on the menu instead."

Jade shakes his head. "No. This one will be only for you."

After you make it back to your dorm, you sit back down in front of your drawing. You grin, realizing what you want to draw. You sketch the figure and add in the details. You smile at the finished product. It was Jade behind the bar, mixing a drink with a smile on his face.

Perfect.