Spelldrive Competing

"Spelldrive?" You tilt your head. "What's that?"

Ace's eyes widen like you've just grown a second head. "Dude, Y/N. You've never heard of Spelldrive?"

You shake your head. I never know what anyone is talking about here.

"It's a world-famous sport!" Deuce informs. "There's even a pro league and a world championship tournament."

Grim folds his arms. "I ain't never heard of this either!"

"Spelldrive is a sport played by competing teams of seven people." Ace adds. "Basically, players battle for control of a disc and earn points by drivin' it into the enemy team's goal. The team with the most points wins!"

"Oh, that sounds like some of the sports from my world." You say.

Ace grins. "Oh yeah? You a big sports fan, Y/N?"

You shrug. "Well I never really took it seriously but some sports were fun."

"If you're interested, we could go check out the school's Spelldrive league sometime." Deuce smiles at you.

"Oh man," Ace brings a hand to his head. "I just realized that Y/N would have a hard time actually playing."

"Yeah?" Grim tilts his head. "Why's that?"

"You need magic to play." Deuce informs. "Not only do you move the disc with magic, but you use it to attack and defend, too."

Ace nods. "The flashier the magic, the better. It's how players show off their skills!"

"Yes, quite!" Crowley pipes in. "That is why Night Raven College is known throughout the world as a leader in the sport! This school has produced countless pro players!"

Crowley moves to lean against the front of his desk. "That's why our interdorm Spelldrive tournaments attract attention even from pro league recruiters. Also, those simply looking for up-and-coming magicians use the event to scout hopeful candidates. Yes, the tournament is quite an affair. The campus will be full of visitors and lined with various kiosks. And the main event will be captured by television cameras and broadcast worldwide."

"Wow." You think back to your home world and how big a sports were for the players to be recruited by a big name league. "That is a pretty big deal."

Grim hops excitedly from your shoulders to the floor. "It's broadcast throughout the world? So you're sayin' that if I were to play in this tournament, and win of course, the whole world would see it?"

"Of course!" Crowley smiles, seemingly enthusiastic about the sport as well. "Players who excel at the tournament invariably attract great attention. Both from the pro leagues and the public at large!"

Deuce looks to Grim. "In your case, the magic would barely even matter. Just having a monster like you out there is sure to turn heads."

Grim rubs his paws together excitedly. "It's settled, then! I'm gonna train around the clock, join a team, and become a legend!"

"Alas, Grim, you cannot enter."

Grim whips around at the Headmage. "Wait, what?"

"Did you not hear me speak the word interdorm multiple times?" Crowley asks the bewildered cat. "Your dorm doesn't even have seven members. Therefore, you cannot enter the tournament."

"What? But no fair!" Grim cries out in despair.

"But there's plenty else to do, from tending to the grounds to selling drinks in the stands!" The Headmage says like it helps Grim feel any better. "Those who stand upon the field are not the only stars of tournament day."