Impending Breach

You and the boys stand in the dimly lit hall. The Charon soldiers stopped attacking for the moment, allowing you to catch your breath.

"Now then," Vil says. "According to the staff, Tartarus has three towers. I think we should split into three teams. We must save what little time we have to mitigate the risk of a complete loss."

"We'll have to go through all three anyway, or else we might miss Grim." Epel adds.

Vil nods. "Very true. As for the teams, since we're both juniors and housewardens, I believe it would be best for Leona and I to lead separate teams. I'll take Tower one. Leona can take Tower two. That leaves Tower three."

"I'll lead the third team." Riddle steps forward. "I've been housewarden the second-longest, after Leona."

"Very well." Vil glances to Azul. "I trust you have no objections, Azul?"

Azul shrugs. "None at all. Riddle has far better grades than me in both the classroom and in the field."

"Epel, Y/N, and I shall go with Vil." Rook adds.

Jamil snaps his head to the archer. "Hey, why do you decide who Y/N gets to go with?"

Azul nods. "I agree. I believe Y/N should go with me." Azul winks at you. "And I also believe that Y/N would look much better in a Octavinelle uniform."

You feel your checks flush. "Uhh..."

Leona grabs your shoulder and pulls you close to him. "Well I think we should let her say who she wants to go with." Leona gives you a smirk. "Go on. Say you want to travel with me instead of these herbivores."

"Uhhh..."

Rook clears his throat. "Battles are all about teamwork, and it's easier to support someone you've spent more time with. It'll be easier for us to safeguard Y/N as well."

Leona scoffs, his tail swishing. "I'm perfectly capable of protecting her."

Vil drags you away from the lion. "There's three of us that can protect her. That's more than what just two of you can do."

Leona growls but doesn't say anything.

You look to the Pomefiore trio. "I'll try not to slow you guys down."

Rook smiles and places a hand to your shoulder. "Don't worry about that, ma belle. We'll protect you at all costs."

Vil nods. "That just leaves Jamil and Azul."

Azul hums in thought. "We just learned about our magical properties and performance in detail from those exams. So I think Jamil and I should team up with the leaders whose magic is most compatible with ours."

Leona sneers. "Snakes and octopuses are both schemers that use others as a shield when push comes to shove. If not Y/N then I don't care who comes with me. Just pick someone."

"Then I'll join Riddle in Tower three." Azul says. "Leona's desiccating signature spell would be a poor fit with a merman."

"All right, then I'm with Leona." Jamil smirks at the lion. "I look forward to working with you."

"Then let's get rolling." Leona growls. "Just keep this in mind, the first person to reach the Underworld gate gets to beat up Radish Sprout without anyone there to stop 'em. How's that for motivation? 'Just sit tight and you can go back to school in the morning,' my foot. I don't appreciate gettin' dragged into this mess."

Vil chuckles. "The prospect of getting to smack Idia is a rather inspired incentive, Leona."

"This isn't a drill, people." Riddle states. "We need to stay sharp at all times."

Rook perks up. "I know! Why don't we all huddle up before going our separate ways?"

Leona quirks an eye. "What?"

Riddle shakes his head. "What possible purpose could-ack! Stop tugging on me, Rook!"

Rook slung a shoulder around Riddle and drags him close. "Come, come! Everyone, join shoulder to shoulder with your neighbor!"

"A pre-game huddle!" Epel cheers. "That's what I'm talkin 'about!"

Jamil rolls his eyes. "I'm pretty sure not even our school's sports teams do any kind of huddle before games."

Azul steps back. "I'm not really into the whole jock thing, you know."

Leona scoffs. "Why do I have to do this?"

Vil only chuckles. "Why not? It's not often one battles for the fate of the entire world."

You and the boys all huddle, though they fought over how would be by you. Leona and Jamil won, each standing close on either side of you. You all lean forwards, arms around each other.

"Okay, we're huddled." Jamil says.

"Now what?" Azul asks.

Riddle hums. "I'm not well-versed in the rules of a team huddle. But I believe that generally, someone calls out an order, and the group disperses."

Leona flattens his ears. "Look, can we just get this over with? I could cut the awkwardness with a knife."

Rook looks to you with a smile. "Y/N, would you do the honors of giving us a rallying cry?"

Vil nods. "Good idea. Otherwise this group is going to start bickering about who says what."

"I take offense to that." Azul looks to you with a smirk. "But I'm sure whatever Y/N says would be very inspiring."

Epel grins. "Make sure to put some spirit into it."

Geez, no pressure...

"No matter what, we will make it out of here and back to school together!"

The boys all cheer.

In the bottom of Tartarus, the moans and cries of those in the underworld escape through the open door. Ortho reports back to Idia, both looking very different.

"Idia! The Night Raven College students are heading to Tartarus. They REALLY want to stop our plan."

Idia groans. "Those troublemakers always get in the way. It never fails."

Ortho laughs. "Check it out! Looks like they're splitting into three teams to clear Tartarus. That's so cool! It's just like the Night Raven Quest game we talked about!"

"It's gonna take more time to melt all the ice in Tartarus and unlock the gate to the Underworld. Ortho, go play with 'em some."

"Sweet! I was afraid we wouldn't be able to game together anymore. This is great! And this time... I'm the boss!"