Observing a Foe

The next day, you look outside the large window in a hallway. Jack walks up to you, waving to you as he approaches.

"Yo. I'm here and ready to get this Azul recon started."

You smile at him. "I'm a little surprised you wanted to help. I'd thought you wouldn't want to skip class."

Jack rubs the back of his neck. "Look, the headmage ordered this personally. He'll let an unexcused absence slide. Besides, I don't like admittin' defeat." Jack folds his arms. "If there's a chance to uncover the secret to Azul's power, I wanna be there when we learn it."

You nod. "Let's go to Azul's first class."

You wrap an arm around Jack's and lead him down the hall. Jack stiffens at your touch but quickly finds he doesn't mind walking arm in arm with you.

You peer into a classroom, Azul's first class is music. You watch as he steps to the front of the class and starts to sing. Your eyes widen upon hearing Azul's beautiful singing voice. He sounds like he could be a professional singer.

"Huh." Jack watches in surprise. "Guy's got some pipes."

After music, you follow Azul to his next class: animal linguistics. You watch as he expertly converses with Lucius. Azul puts a hand to his chin, nodding in understanding.

"Yes, yes, I see." Azul turns to Trein. "Lucius says that the last time you gave him a treat was three hours ago, Professor Trein."

Trein smiles in approval. "Well done, Ashengrotto. That's correct."

Jack scratches the back of his neck. "So he doesn't just understand animal languages, he speaks 'em, too?"

Azul's next class is potionology. Azul measures and adds ingredients with complete confidence.

"A beluga tooth, a sturgeon egg, aurora moth scales, mermaid tears... Add in an extract from one hundred and twenty types of medicinal herbs blended together, and..."

A cloud poofs over the cauldron and Azul fills a potion vial. He hands it to Crewel with a grin.

"Done! You can drink this potion to transform a body part into that of a different animal."

"That's a very good boy! You just formulated a potion that would usually go on the junior-year class's final exams." Crewel looks to the rest of the class. "The rest of you whelps should learn from Ashengrotto's example."

"AND the guy brews high-level potions as easily as a barista slings lattes..." Jack shakes his head. "Sheesh."

In the cafeteria, you and Jack watch as Azul grabs his lunch.

"I think I'll have some squid ink pasta for lunch today. Ah, but I do need my vegetables as well. An all carb meal would be quite nutritionally lopsided."

Jack folds his arms, ear twitching. "Seems like Azul's a perfect honors student in every way."

You sigh. "We should get some lunch."

You and Jack grab a plate and dish up, sitting down at a table together. Jack admits to himself that he actually had fun with you today. He's glad the three stooges aren't around to ruin the moment.

"Mrooow..."

Jack rolls his eyes as Grim flops onto the table, ruining the moment. "Azul sure didn't waste any time workin' us to the bone. If I wasn't dead on my feet before, I sure am now."

Ace and Deuce sit across from you. Ace sighs and slumps against the table. "Cleaning Octavinelle Dorm, waiting tables at the lounge, going on grocery runs... He's been running me ragged."