Feeling The Heat

"WOO! I win! That's three for me!"

You and the others sit around in a circle with the game in the center. For what feels like the hundredth time, Floyd manages to win the game again.

Jamil chuckles. "You're tough competition when you're focused, Floyd."

"Mrgyah!" Grim folds his arms. "I lose again! You're relentless, Azul."

Azul smirks. "That brings me up to five to zero. I'd be an affront to the Board Game Club with anything less, of course. Meanwhile, Jamil's at two to three, I see."

"Oh, yes. It's been a while since I last played. I suppose I've gotten rusty." Jamil shrugs. "Back in the old days, Kalim would spend hours a day making me play with him, insisting on going until he won a game. Despite his middling skill. Imagine that."

Azul pushes his glasses into place. "Ah, I see. Mm, yes, that would explain it."

"Explain what?" Jamil tilts his head. "You sure love your cryptic little asides."

"Forget I said anything. So, you and Kalim essentially grew up together, correct?" Azul switches topics.

"We've been together for as long as I can remember, yes." Jamil folds his arms. "Speaking of which, you three Octavinelle boys have been friends since childhood, I hear?"

"Thaaat's what they say!" Floyd grins.

Grim tilts his head. "What's that s'posed to mean? You're talkin' like you're not even one of 'em."

"We've been classmates ever since we started elementary school." Floyd explains. "But personally, I barely knew Azul existed until just before we started middle school. So I wouldn't exactly call us childhood friends."

Azul nods. "I was a rather quiet boy myself. I hardly ever stood out in class."

Grim smirks. "You stood out in other ways, though. Not many guys could claim to be as cute and round as-"

You clamp a hand over Grim's mouth before he could continue.

Azul narrows his eyes at the cat. "Grim, I believe we've been over this multiple times. You are NOT to dredge up the forbidden lore!"

Jamil smiles. "Yet here you are now, presiding over them as housewarden. You have a curious relationship."

"Y'think? I just do what Azul says 'cause it's more fun that way." Floyd says.

"I strongly doubt Jade or Floyd have any binding allegiance to me." Azul shrugs. "This is all an elaborate game of pretend to them."

Jamil runs a hand through his hair. "Your relationship is getting more confusing by the minute."

Azul only grins. "If I made a poor choice as leader or even simply a boring one, they would turn on me instantly and seize the housewarden seat for themselves. Not that I'd lose if they challenged me, of course."

"We ain't got any plans to challenge him, either... for now, anyway." Floyd laughs.

Jamil tilts his head. "So essentially, the three of you are all equals in each other's eyes."

"Yeah. We stick with him now 'cause it's fun." Floyd grins. "If it stops bein' fun, we drop him like a bad habit. Easy. It ain't like the vice housewarden is the housewarden's servant or nothin'. It's a pretty normal relationship, if you ask me."

"Normal, you say. I suppose that concept is lost on me. I've always been loyal of the Asim house." Jamil looks to the ground. "And that will likely never change."

Azul watches Jamil's expression, looking for any clues he might reveal. The door to the lounge opens and in walks Kalim and Jade. Jamil's eyes widen at the sight of Kalim.

Kalim walks to your little group. "Oh, hey, guys. Are you still gaming? Ooh, Mancala! That takes me back. I used to play it for hours on end with Jamil."

"I thought you went to bed, Kalim. Why would you..." Jamil clears his throat. "I've told you not to wander around by yourself. What if someone abducted you?"

Kalim sits down beside you. "You're such a worrywart, Jamil. Chill. Jade's been with me the whole time."

Jamil pales. "Wait, Jade?"

"Yes, hello." Jade stands behind you. "I've been keeping Kalim company. Kalim is so generous. He's been teaching me aaall sorts of things."

Jamil stands, glaring at the twin. "Answer me. What did you do to Kalim?"

"I was just having a pleasant conversation with him. Isn't that right, Kalim?"

Kalim smiles broadly. "Yep. I was just showing him around the storeroom. Oh yeah, Jamil! You know that silver and blue carpet we brought with us when we came here? Do you know where it is? I couldn't find it for the life of me."

Jamil sends one last glare at Jade before turning to Kalim. "We're leaving, Kalim."

Kalim frowns. "Huh? Why?"

"Back to your room, now!" Jamil grabs Kalim's arm and drags him away.

"Whoa! Okay, okay! You don't have to pull my arm out of its socket!" Kalim waves. "Sorry, Jade. I'll get you the carpet some other time!"

"Certainly." Jade chuckles. "I'm sure we'll be seeing more of each other very soon."