Chapter 8

Remus' POV

I see Mack rummaging through her bag like she's lost something.  I'm not surprised if she forgot something.  She didn't get ready last night for today and probably forgot something important.

"Oh shoot," she mutters so quietly that I wouldn't be able to hear it if I wasn't a werewolf. "I left my quills in my dorm room."

Quickly I reach into my bag and place one on top of her parchment.  Then I turn back to the front and write down my notes as quickly as I can and as neatly as I can.  I hope she just accepts the quill and not question why I gave her one.  I don't even know why I gave her one.

I can feel her staring at me so I ask, "You okay there Mack?" without looking at her.

"How do you know something is wrong?" Mack asks.

"I can feel you staring at me.  It's the same stare from Sirius and James a lot.  The 'I'm confused' stare."

"Haha, very funny Remus."

"C'mon slow poke, catch up on your notes."

I turn to her and smile.  She doesn't like that though so she sticks out her tongue at me.  I lean over and grab her tongue.  Her bright blue eyes go wide. She looks so innocent I burst out laughing.

"Mr. Lupin and Miss Mackenzie!" Professor McGonagall yells. "Stop flirting and pay attention to what I am teaching."

"Yes ma'am," we both mutter as I let go of her tongue.

Behind us James and Sirius are laughing super hard. I turn around and glare at them before going back to my notes.

"Now as I was saying, an Animagus is someone who can transfigure themselves into an animal. " Professor McGonagall explains. "The process is incredibly difficult, not to mention very dangerous. Not many people can become an Animagus because it such a high level of transfiguration. Now can anyone tell me what animal you turn into when you become an Animagus?"

Marlene, Lily, and Mackenzie all shoot their hands up.

"Miss Evans!"  Professor McGonagall exclaims.

"When you become an Animagus you usually become the animal of your patronus but not always. Patronus' can change animals where the Animagus form cannot."

"Correct! 10 points to Gryffindor!" Professor McGonagall says before going on about how this is so dangerous and you must be registered with the Ministry.

I can feel Mack next to me getting really anxious.  I turn to ask her what's wrong when Mack raises her hand in the air. "Yes, Miss Mackenzie?" her mum asks.

"Are you going to tell us about how you become an Animagus?" Mackenzie asks.

"I will but not very much. It is a higher form of magic that 7th years don't even touch on unless you are going to become a transfiguration teacher or you are absolutely an exceptional 7th year." She sighs.  "To become an Animagus you have to take multiple potions which are incredibly hard to make as well as do many other tasks to try to trigger your first shift.  It's not easy and it is very dangerous if done wrong."

"Professor, when did you become an Animagus?" Marlene asks.

"Raise your hand next time Miss McKinnon. But to answer your question, I became an Animagus during my seventh year because Professor Dumbledore was the Transfiguration teacher and I was taking extra classes with him to become the new Transfiguration teacher. He knew he was going to become the next headmaster soon after I graduated."

"Now all Animagus have markings that indicate..." I feel myself starting to zone out so I pull out my wand and charm the quill to write down everything Professor McGonagall says.  A full moon happened only three days ago, and with Mack coming last night I didn't get enough sleep.

The bell rings and shoots me out of my daze.  I shove my parchment and quill into my bag then reach into my pocket to see if I have any chocolate.  My hand comes out empty. "Shoot," I mutter, I really need a pick me up right now.

"What's wrong, mate?" James asks bumping into me.

"Out of chocolate," I say back.

"We could run down to the Kitchen real quick," Sirius says softly.

Something soft brushes against my leg and I look down to see a kitten with light silver fur running down the hallway before it turns down another corridor.

"No, I'm fine," I say.

"Sure you are," James says rolling his eyes. "We are going down to the kitchens. We have plenty of time."

We run down to the kitchens as fast as we can.  I look around us and see that there is no one right next to us.  The girls are way up ahead without Mackenzie and since Mack isn't behind us so she must be with her mum. I nod at Sirius. He reaches over and tickles the pear.  James opens the door and we scramble inside.

Peter walks over to the nearest house elf and asks for some chocolate.,

Once all of the house elves are away from us I round on the boys.  "You all couldn't possibly be still thinking of becoming Animagus' right?"

"Of course we are! You can't do this alone anymore!"  James and Sirius exclaim.

"You all heard Minnie, it's really dangerous. You all could get hurt!" I shout.

"Yeah but we also heard that it's potions and tasks which we can totally do because we have the best potion maker in the school as a friend." Peter says.

"Guys, Snape is not our friend," I mutter.

"Not Snivellus! You!" James shouts.

A house elf comes over and taps me.  "Mister Remus, here is your chocolate," she says softly and hands me a chunk of chocolate. "Thank you so much," I respond politely.

I lead them out of the Kitchen and we walk silently down to the Potions room while I eat my chocolate.  "I'll think about it." I mutter but I know they hear me. "We will talk about this more later."

"Alright mate," Sirius says.  "We can talk this weekend. I feel like we are going to have a lot of homework this week."