Chapter 17

Sirius' POV

I wake up to hearing rummaging throughout our room.

"Where is it?" I hear the voice groan.

I roll over towards the voice and see a small figure searching through Remus' desk. Phew at least they aren't looking for the invisibility cloak.

"Yes!" the person whisper shouts before running out of the room.

By now I'm fully awake and realize something has been stolen from Remus. I look at the others and see I'm the only one awake. "Great, I guess I'm the one who has to go after them." I grab the cloak from under James' bed and dash out the door.

I see a brown hair run out of the portrait hole and I follow right after them. I chase them throughout the castle but at a good distance behind because I'm guessing they are from a different house since they left the Gryffindor common room. Suddenly the person runs and turns towards the doors that lead to the Clocktower Courtyard. She freezes until the bells start to chime 12 times, signifying midnight. She throws open the doors and walks outside. After consulting the map one more time the person, who I now know is a girl by the length of the hair, turns around and looks at the castle.

She is standing in the light coming from the doors she forgot to shut and I gasp when she moves her hair out of her eyes. I see two bright blue eyes. "Mackenzie," I growl under my breath.

She pulls out her wand and aims at the doors. "Piertotum Locomotor," Mackenzie casts and I feel the magic spread and go all over the castle. "Today is Halloween," she says with a grin. "Please use this spell to scare as many people as you choose. This spell will wear off at midnight."

I remove myself from the cloak. "What spell is that?" I hiss.

She jumps a mile high before whirling around. The second she spots me a death glare comes out.

"What are you doing out of bed?" She exclaims. "You could've been caught."

I hold up James' invisibility cloak for her to see. "And that is?" she says confused.

"How did we never show... Nevermind," I say softly. "This is James' cloak of invisibility. It's a real one, it will never lose its magic."

"How do you know it won't?"

"It's a family heirloom. It has been passed down through their family for centuries."

She walks over and touches the cloak in her hand. "This is amazing," she says with a grin.

"It is, now how did you get down here without being caught?" I question her.

She holds up a bundle of parchment.

"Of course," I say with a grin. She didn't know about the cloak so she was looking for the map.

I look down at the map and see that Professor McGonagall is coming this way. I reach up and throw the cloak over us then whisper "Mischief Managed." After all the time we spent trying to figure out what to have as our passwords into and out of the map it was Peter who finally came up with I solemnly swear that I am up to no good and Mischief Managed. We are pranksters through and through so that perfectly describes who we are and what we do.

Professor McGonagall walks out into the courtyard and looks around quickly. After deciding there is no one out here she heads back inside.

"Let's go upstairs," Mackenzie whispers.

"Agreed," I reply as we turn and go back to the common room.

When we enter the common room Mack removes herself from the invisibility cloak and disappears into the girls' dormitory. She often falls asleep in the girls' dormitory but ends up waking us up in our dormitory. She only sleeps in our room once or twice a week, maybe more if we are up late talking.

"So much for finding out what that spell does," I mutter as I head up to my bed.

"YOU DID WHAT?" Remus shouts; waking all of us up in the morning. "Do you know how much trouble you could get into if they figure out you did that spell?"

"Of course I do," Mackenzie sasses back. "That's why I used your wand to delete the previous spell on my wand so they can't do priori incantatem and trace it back to me."

"Why in the world do you have to be so bloody brilliant," Remus mutters to himself as he storms past us into the bathroom.

As soon as he disappears James and I burst out laughing. "So Mack," I choke out while laughing, "what did that spell do?"

"It brought all of the statues to life," she says simply.

"What?" James asks, instantly sobered down from laughing.

"My goodness, can you not hear me too this morning?" she says with a grin. "I then told them all to scare the living daylights out of people. It's going to be a fun day filled with pranks," she informs us while rubbing her hands together.

Soon enough its dinner time and the whole school is talking about the epic prank that Mackenzie pulled today. And what makes it even better is that the teachers couldn't figure out who casted the spell so no punishments can be done. I think Professor McGonagall knows it was us but she can't ever prove it.

"Did you guys see Marlene's face when she was hit by that statue with the mace?" James asks laughing like crazy. "It was so funny."

"I've never seen her that scared but Lily's face was even better!" I exclaim. "She was so angry about the prank, she was ready to curse you into oblivion but since it cant be proven who it was she can't curse you!"

"Mack is brilliant," Remus says with a sigh. "We will never be able to beat that."

"Why would we want to beat it?" Peter asks innocently. "Wasn't today amazing?"

We all look at him shocked.

"Of course it was amazing but we are Marauders, pranking is what we do. That means we will have to do better next year to make next year even more memorable than this," James protests. "Plus the people don't know who it was so we can't just announce credit for it."

"There's already rumors that we did it though and since we aren't saying anything the rumors are getting stronger," Peter says quietly.

"Why didn't you tell us that sooner, mate?" I ask shocked, I didn't think the other students would be thinking we did it.

"I don't know," he mutters.

Our group is silent for a while before Remus suddenly asks, "Where's Mack?"

"Seriously, is she the only thing you think about?" I ask him.

"No, Remus is right," James shoots back, "I haven't seen Mack in a long time, where did she go?"

I look down at my watch and realize that its almost midnight. They do a late night feast on Halloween. "She disappeared to make sure the spell gets undone," I whisper to the guys.

They all nod in response since James and Peter don't even know what the spell is. The bell starts to chime midnight and a pulse of energy floods through everyone in the castle. "The spell is gone," Remus whispers before leaving the Great Hall.