Chapter 34

Mack's POV

    I storm out of my last class of the day and start cursing when I angrily walk into something and slam my shoulder. The boys made me so angry that they weren't there last night when I needed them. And then they had the gall to avoid me today. Plus, Slytherin decided to be a pain in the ass in herbology earlier.

    I look up ready to curse at whatever I walked into when I see that it is Remus standing holding his hands up in front of me.

    "Please don't curse me," he pleads with the rest of the Marauders laughing behind him. His lips tweak up into a slight smile and his eyes look bright.

    I pull my wand out of my pocket and twirl it through my fingers. "I don't know Rem, I'm pretty mad at you."

    His face drops. "What did I do Mack?"

    His expression makes me stop. He looks really sad and his body seems slumped like he's really tired.

    I tuck my wand into my messy bun and grab Remus' arm and drag him towards the Room of Requirement.

    The second we get to the seventh floor I let go of him and start pacing in front of the wall.

    I need a quiet place where we can rest with no one interrupting us. I need a quiet place where we can rest with no one interrupting us. I need a quiet place where we can rest with no one interrupting us.

    The doors slowly appear and I pull Remus inside. The room is large and a light beige color with a huge couch that has an ottoman pushed up flush against it. I walk over to the couch and use my good arm to lift my book bag off my good shoulder and pull the strap off over my head. I drop the bag on the left side of the couch and plop down. Remus follows me much more slowly, obviously hesitant of me yelling at him.

    "Sit Rem, I'm not going to bite your head off," I say loudly before muttering, "today."

    His head snaps up when he hears my mutter and hurries to sit on the couch. I scooch closer to him and touch his forehead with my index finger. He winces slightly so I pull my hand back.

    "What did you really do Remus?" I whisper knowing he will still hear me. "I know you lied earlier to my mum, she knows you lied too."

    He sighs. "Well, we decided to go exploring in the Forbidden Forest last night to practice transforming and I must've been too close to a boulder or tree because I got a huge gash in my forehead."

    "And you waited until morning to go get it seen?" I ask shocked.

    "Of course, what was I supposed to say at like 3 in the morning? Oh hey yeah I busted my head open on a rock? It was much smarter waiting until morning."

    I give him that look, the you're such an idiot look.

    He looks over at me. "James and Sirius kept an eye on me, I'm fine."

    "Since you all went out and practiced yesterday, can I see them now?" I ask, not quite believing his story and trying to create a loophole.

    "Absolutely not," he says shaking his head. "I need to get better at this so I don't hurt myself again next time."

    I nod and slide on the couch until I am right next to him. He reaches out and softly unclips my sling and pulls me down to his side.

    "Is that why you are so exhausted?" I whisper settling down next to him.

    "Yes," he whispers and I watch as his eyes struggle to stay open.

    We stay silent for awhile while I think about everything he told me. My gut is telling me that this isn't true but the whole story makes sense.

    "I feel like you aren't telling me the whole truth," I say blatantly.

    His hazel eyes open slowly and they take a couple moments before settling in on my face. "I'm not telling you the whole truth. The rest is up to the others to tell you but I doubt they will. It's personal to them."

    My eyes widen at his honesty and I lay my head back down onto his shoulder and think.

    "Are you telling me the whole truth about you?" I whisper.

    He is barely awake now and I see him hesitating in an answer due to how tired he is. "Yes, Mack, I'm telling you the whole truth about me last night."

    I nod and I think that he is starting to drift off to sleep when he asks me a question.

    "Why were you so mad when I walked into Transfiguration?" he says playing with a piece of my hair. My hair turns red at the tips in embarrassment as I think about how I acted earlier.

    "I needed you last night but none of you were there," I say looking down at my fingers.

    I feel his hand leave my hair and push against my chin so I'd look at him. I hesitate before looking at him in the eyes.

    "What happened?" he asks, his eyebrows furrowed together.

    "A bad nightmare," I whisper. "I didn't wake any of the girls up though which was good. I tried to come into your room to stay with you so I would relax but no one was there."

    He nods and I use the silence to continue.

    "I needed comfort so I stole your blanket that sits at the end of your bed. You are probably wondering where it went. I'll give it back later."

    He shakes his head before speaking slowly, obviously becoming more tired. "Keep it, I have plenty more blankets under my bed that I can use. If it will help keep your nightmares away then you need it more than I do."

    I nod and he shuts his eyes and drifts off to sleep.

    I pull my wand out of my hair and lay there next to him practicing random spells. After practicing the simple ones, I move onto more complex. Finally, I practice my patronus. The spell isn't necessarily that hard for me, I have so many happy memories. I whisper Expecto Patronum and my white wolf bounds out into the air and runs around the room. I giggle when it flows around my head and smile when it approaches Remus. It tilts its head down and taps the injured spot on his head like a kiss before I break off the spell.

    I look at Remus and see how peaceful he is now that he's asleep. He was definitely super exhausted earlier. I lean forward and kiss the injured spot on his forehead before falling asleep next to him.