Chapter 44

Mack's POV

The door slams open and I sit up quickly on the window bench.

"Mackenzie!" Uncle Aberforth yells stomping heavily into the cottage. "There's a damn bird outside with a letter addressed to you. It seems exhausted, have you been ignoring it all day?"

He trudges into the library and sees me curled up under blankets with books all piled around me. "Nevermind. I can see perfectly well that you were stuck in your own world and didn't see the time pass. Did you even eat any lunch today?"

"Uhuh," I mumble before turning my head to look at the large grandfather clock. "No, I did not. I thought it was like 11 in the morning not 7 in the evening."

Uncle Aberforth shakes his head and tosses me the letter. "What am I going to do with you, child?" He mutters angrily before leaving to go to the kitchen.

I gingerly pick up the rolled up piece of parchment and untie the red ribbon holding it shut. I unroll the parchment and begin to read.

Wednesday February 15th

Dear Mackenzie,

I hope you will actually read this letter and not rip it up or burn it immediately. Many problems have occurred since you have left Hogwarts and your mother has made it my job to inform you of them.

First of all, Mr. and Mrs. Potter are in St. Mungo's after being injured during an Auror mission yesterday. James, Sirius and Lily went to go see them well through the night and thoroughly enjoyed speaking with Mrs. Potter. Mr. Potter was more injured than Mrs. Potter and was asleep throughout their visit. Mrs. Potter wishes all of us the best on the rest of our year at Hogwarts.

Second, Lily is injured and in the hospital wing. She pulled James aside to speak to him after getting back from St. Mungo's at around 3 in the morning. She was attacked in the hall by Severus Snape. He casted a new spell that James does not recognize. We believe the spell was supposed to hit James instead of Lily. She is not healing incredibly well and is having many fits in the hospital wing. James is an absolute wreck because he never told her that she is his soulmate. Sirius and I believe that Lily was going to tell him that she knows about being his soulmate right before she was attacked.

I am hoping to take James to Honeydukes tomorrow through the secret passageway you showed me. I am running low on my chocolate and I feel like candy would make James feel better. Perhaps if you are in Hogsmeade, you would like to meet us there, but I understand that you most likely need more space and will not want to join us.

We miss more you more than anything and hope you come back to Hogwarts soon. I miss you the most out of everyone and I pray that you are safe and sound wherever you are. Please come back soon Mack, I need you with me.

Yours faithfully,

Remus J. Lupin

Tears drip out of my eyes as I complete the letter. I stand up slowly and walk into the kitchen. I drop the letter onto the counter.

"I am going to go up to my room. Do not wait for me to come back down to eat." In a daze, I walk back through the hallway and move slowly up the stairs. I faintly hear the crinkling of parchment and barely recognize the fact that my uncle just read the letter. I just about make it to my bed when a loud voice pierces the air.

"MACKENZIE!"

Uncle Aberforth's voice breaks me out of my daze and the ground begins to sway under my feet. My body curls in on itself as it hits the ground while tears stream down my face. I lay there on my carpet bawling as the terrible news finally hits me.