Chapter 53

Lily's POV

I'm sitting silently in the Great Hall when Marlene, Sirius, James and Peter decide to join me for breakfast.

"Morning Lily," Marlene smiles. "You went to bed very early last night, are you feeling okay?"

Sirius turns his attention to me nervously but I direct my attention straight to Marlene. "I feel overwhelmed still with everything going on and I can't wait to see Mackenzie."

"Well you just happen to be in luck," James grins before pointing to the doors.

I roll my eyes before turning in that direction. Mack and Remus come into the Great Hall and instantly everything falls silent.

"MACK!" Marlene shouts before jumping out of her seat. I'm up just a second after her before we both sprint down the aisle to attack Mackenzie into a ginormous hug. She stumbles backwards on impact before Remus places a hand on her lower back to stop her fall.

"I'm going to go sit down," He mutters lowly before walking away.

Mack buries her head in between my neck and Marlene's neck. "I missed you guys so much!"

"Don't you ever leave us again with these numskulls," Marlene tries to say meanly before giggling like crazy.

Mack groans, "I have a feeling that I missed a lot."

"You have no idea."

I lean back and tug Mack towards the Gryffindor table. "Let's eat, we can catch up later."

We sit down and see the plates Marlene and I abandoned are refilled to the top with food. Marlene and I look up and see Sirius smirking at Marlene while James smiles at my sheepishly.

My eyes harden and I push my plate away before picking up my goblet of pumpkin juice. James smile falls at my actions and he quickly looks down at finishes his food. I zone out, drinking my juice, while everyone else finishes their food. Mack pokes me and I turn to look at her standing already.

"Are you ready to go to class?"

I nod silently and stand up. I join Mack and Remus as they walk out of the hall. Marlene already ran off to class because she forgot to finish her essay for a different class. James and Sirius trail behind us while Peter is off somewhere with Mary before class.

"What the hell did you do?" I hear James hiss to Sirius as we walk down the staircase. "Why is she now beyond mad at me?"

I look to my left at the reflective suit of armor to see Sirius shrug. "I don't know Jamsie. I doubt she is that mad at you."

I huff and drag Mack down to the girl's bathroom.

"Are you okay Lily?" She asks softly as I lean over the sink and glare at my reflection.

"Did you know?" I whirl around, glaring at my best friend.

She looks at me confused. "Did I know what?"

I cross my arms, "That they became animagi."

She sighs and nods softly. "I knew that they wanted to become animagi and that they succeed while I was at St. Mungos. I didn't know what animal they were though until last night." She tilts her head to the side. "Did you follow them down to the forest yesterday?"

I nod. "Sirius wrote me a letter saying to follow them when they left last night if I wanted all of my questions answered."

"And now you are mad because James didn't tell you?" She smiles softly.

My glare intensifies. "Well yeah! Aren't you not supposed to lie to your soulmate?"

"So you are admitting out loud now that he's your soulmate but you won't tell him you know?" Mack whispers before tugging me outside and down to the potions classroom. "Relax Lily, he did that so he could help Remus. That's why they all did it."

I sigh and feel my anger releasing from my shoulders. "Okay."

We slip into the classroom and see that there are only two open seats. One next to James and one next to Remus. Immediately, I tense up as Mack skips away from me to go towards Remus. I start walking past the desk to go over to James when her hand shoots out and grabs my wrist. She leans down and whispers in Remus' ear. He turns and looks over at me before looking up at Mack.

"Of course love," I hear him say softly before moving to go sit next to James.

Mack drops into Remus' seat and pats the spot next to her. "C'mon Lil."

I smile gratefully at Remus and sit down next to Mack, "Thank you."

"No problem, you don't need to sit next to that insufferable moron," She says loudly, causing the whole room to snicker. James flushes bright red and drops his head to his chest.

"So are you excited for the quidditch game in three weeks?" I grin at Mack.

"Hell yeah," she laughs. "I've been practicing like crazy while I was gone."

Marlene leans forward from the desk behind us. "Thank goodness you are back. Emmaline and I were so annoyed with being the only girls on the team. Now we have another girl to try to balance out all that testosterone."

A loud voice clears its throat causing us all to look sharply up at the front.

"If the Gryffindor girls are done talking, I would like to begin class now," Professor Slughorn says, looking at us with a twinkle in his eye.

The Slytherins in the room snicker but Mack tilts her head politely to the side. "Good morning Professor, it is so good to see you."

"Mackenzie, your mother and father told me you would be coming back today," Professor Slughorn smiles from the front of the dark, damp dungeon. "I assume you are all caught up on your studies."

"Of course Professor," She smiles. "I brewed all of the potions that were taught while I was gone at the cottage."

"Excellent, my dear!" He exclaims before turning to the blackboard. "Open your books, we are going to be making the Draught of Living Death."

"Again?" Marlene leans forward and whispers as murmurs fill the air.

"Yes, yes," He says loudly. "I know you have all done this before but it is always good to practice. The first table done, with the potion perfect of course, does not have to write the essay that is due in two weeks."

Instantly the class is thrown into motion as everyone rushes around the room to make their potion the best.