Chapter 46

James' POV

"How much longer do you think it is going to be until Mack comes back?" Sirius asks dropping onto the couch next to me. I have been sitting in the Common Room all night playing with the Golden Snitch I stole while waiting for everyone else to come back from who knows where.

"It's been over two weeks since Mack left us. He's has slowly gone insane.," I groan into my hands. "I don't think I can take this anymore mate"

Sirius nods and drops his head onto the pillows. "And he has become a twig too. Like seriously all he does is go to class but somehow through his daily exercise of Quidditch and worrying, he has lost weight."

The portrait hole opens and I turn around quickly to see Lily walking into the room. I reach up and fix my hair before lounging back on the couch. "Hey Lilyflower."

"Potter," she says quickly before looking away and running up the stairs to the girls' dormitory.

I sigh and rub my hand through my hair again. "I don't understand what happened between us," I complain to Sirius.

"I have been wondering the same thing. You two seemed so close while Lily was in the hospital wing but now that she's out she is avoiding you," Remus says softly walking down the stairs from the boys' dormitory.

"His majesty finally decided to grace ourselves with his royal presence," Sirius sasses looking over the edge of the couch up at Remus.

"Oh shut it Sirius," Remus groans. "I have been writing another letter to Mack."

"Another one? Didn't you just mail her one this morning?" I ask confused.

"No I wrote her two days ago. Seriously James, I am not desperate enough to write her every day."

"Well, with all your pacing you seem pretty desperate to me," Sirius grumbles.

Remus reaches down, grabs a pillow and whacks him with it. "Sirius, you are one pain in the arse, you know that right?"

"Not as much as you are," Sirius says cheekily before ducking out of Remus' reach.

Remus shakes his head and continues talking. "As I was saying, Mackenzie actually wrote me back yesterday so I am replying to her."

Sirius and I sit up, suddenly intensely focused on what Remus is talking about. I snatch the snitch out of the air and hold it tightly in my hand. "Did you just say Mack wrote you a letter for once?"

"Yes, her and her mum have been corresponding a lot lately and Professor McGonagall has kept me in the loop. She has come to terms with us being soulmates but has been feeling nervous about coming back. Or at least that's what the letters Professor McGonagall has been getting said."

"So what did your letter say?" Sirius asks, waving his hands around excitedly.

"She is going to come back very soon. She misses me greatly and can't wait to see me again. I think she feels awkward about us but wants to give it a shot. I was going to go mail the letter to her before I have to go to the Shack later."

"We are still coming with you tonight, right?" Sirius asks all excited.

Remus sighs and shrugs his shoulders. "I suppose so. You guys need to find Peter though."

"I saw him before he left. He said he was going to be with Mary and will meet us in the Great Hall exactly 20 minutes before sunset," I inform him quickly.

Remus nods. "Sounds good. I will see you all soon."

Sirius and I both nod before laying back down on the couch as Remus heads out of the portrait hole.

I pull out the snitch from my pocket and start letting it fly so I can catch it. About half an hour goes by before Sirius begins to stand up. "It's time to go mate."

"I agree with you," I agree before standing up and following him to the portrait hole. Sirius goes through the portrait hole first and starts heading down the staircase. I'm just about to follow him when a loud voice calls out.

"Potter," Lily shouts.

I turn around away from the portrait hole quickly and see Lily rushing down the stairs towards me.

"I need to talk to you!"

"Lily, I can't talk right now. I have to go," I answer moving away from her.

Lily reaches my side and grabs my hand. "It is really important James."

I am startled by her urgency when she calls me James. "I understand that but I really need to go Lily. Remus needs me."

"I'm being serious James, this is important."

I shake her hand off me and move out the door. "It will have to wait Lily. I need to go now."

I duck through the portrait hole and as I pull close the door, I see Lily's face fall. Once the door is shut I sigh softly. I feel awful about turning away Lily but Remus is more important. Determined I will be able to make it up to her later I rush down the stairs to catch up to Sirius and Peter.

"Merlin's beard James, we are going to be late because of you!" Sirius yells, pushing open the big doors.

"You think I don't know that! Lily stopped and wanted to talk to me," I yell back.

"So what did she want to talk to you about?" Peter asks as we rush down the lawn.

"I have no idea, I ran off because I knew I was late," I tell them quickly right before Peter transforms and presses the button on the whomping willow.

We meet up in the room and meet up with Remus. "Ready to do this again Remus?" I ask quickly.

"Oh yeah, totally thrilled," Remus rolls his eyes.

"C'mon Remus, it isn't that bad. You have us with you," Sirius says softly.

Remus sighs, "Yeah, but I don't have Mack yet. I can't wait until she comes back."

We all nod and quickly transform into our respective animagus right before Remus transforms into his werewolf. I use my antlers to open up the doors as Sirius guides Remus outside. The second Remus is outside, he becomes alert and starts running straight into the forest.

Sirius, Peter and I stare at each quickly before running after him. We race through the forest following Remus. Every once and a while we double back making Sirius, Peter and I look at each other. I can tell that we are all wondering the same thing. Should we keep following him or should we go back to Hogwarts? Our curiosity is winning us over though; we all have a burning desire to know where he is going.

I run forward more and bump into Remus. I want to draw his attention away to steer him back to Hogwarts. He turns and bares his teeth at me but continues running away on whatever path his nose is following.

We continue on behind him until we reach a small clearing. Remus howls up at the sky and runs right next to a large oak tree just inside the clearing. Peter, Sirius and I look at each other before looking back at Remus. Or where he just was.

I shift back to my normal self and Sirius and Peter shift back too. "Did he just vanish into thin air?"

Peter glances around, "It appears so."

Sirius looks up at the sky and makes me realize that it's almost dawn. "Mates, we need to go back to Hogwarts now if we don't want to be found missing."

"Agreed," I say quickly. "Do you remember the way back Sirius?"

He nods. "I think I can take us a straight shot back instead of all the crazy stuff Remus was doing."

"Let's go then," Peter says before shifting back to his rat form. Sirius and I nod at each other before shifting back as well.

We turn away from the clearing and start the long run back to Hogwarts.