Chapter 76

Peter's POV

"Here we are folks. The game we've all been waiting for. The first of the season, Gryffindor versus Ravenclaw."

            The crowd explodes into cheers and Mary squeezes my hand tightly. I look down at the pitch to see the crowds full of people. For the middle of October, it's surprisingly warm and sunny. Little did I know that this day was going to turn to shit. But I'll get back to that later.

            Like I mentioned, it was warm and sunny. Mary was sitting next to me up in the Gryffindor stand where I always commentate on the games. Half of the teachers were sitting up there with us while the other half sat across the field in the other raised Ravenclaw stand. McGonagall was grinning on my left. Just one look at her and you could tell that she was hoping that her team would kick arse. Not that she would ever admit it out loud.

            "Professor," I say quietly, leaning away from the speaker. The teams were still warming up on the field. Mackenzie and Remus were tossing some smaller ball back and forth to each other while the rest of the players did a couple laps around the field. And of course, there's Captain James leading the way.

            "Yes, Pettigrew?"

            "Why do you enjoy quidditch so much?"
             She looks at me confused before pausing. "Did Mackenzie never tell you all?"

            Mary shakes her head, "No Professor. She has only said that you really hope we crush Slytherin every year."

            McGonagall laughs and shakes her head. "Well yes but that is not the most important part. When I was your age, I was on the Gryffindor Quidditch team and I got injured during a match my 7th year.  It happened in the final match. We lost the cup because of my injury."

            "She was bloody great at Quidditch," Professor Dumbledore cuts in from where he sits behind us. "I remember I was just starting as a professor back then."

            "Did a Slytherin player injure you?"

            McGonagall nods, "Yes."

            Mary nods, "I understand Professor. It's become a personal vendetta for you to see us beat Slytherin."

            McGonagall nods again. "And it's good Professor Slughorn is sitting on the opposite side of the pitch because there is no way he will be able to beat our team this year."

            I look out at the pitch and see Madam Hooch walking into the center. I grab the microphone firmly in my right hand and lean forward.

            "And here they come folks, the Gryffindor team led by Captain James Potter and the Ravenclaw team led by Captain Anne Wellie."

            I lean away as Madam Hooch does her quick speech to the teams. You know, the typical I want a nice clean game, blah, blah, blah.

            "And they're off!"

~~~~~~~~

"Congrats," I say quietly walking into the Gryffindor locker room after the game.

The team keeps on cheering, completely ignoring me. Mackenzie shoots me a small smile and winks. She's the only one that notices me, other than Lily. I turn around and trudge out of the room. What's the point of even trying to be with them anymore? They don't even notice when I'm gone.

Mary already went back to the castle with Lily and Alice. She said they wanted to have some girl talk time.  Leaving me alone.

But I'm never really alone.

I push up my left sleeve and look at the Dark Mark running down my forearm. I look up and see Rosier standing at the top of the hill staring down at me.

Like I said, I'm never really alone. Someone's always watching me.

Once I meet his eyes he turns and walks away. I run up the hill quickly. That look meant I better follow him and if I didn't, well, I'd have hell to pay. I come around the corner into the Clock Tower courtyard when a wand whips out and presses into my throat. I gulp quickly and look to see Rosier, Crouch, Snape, and more standing to my left.

"Relax Pettigrew, we aren't going to hurt you... today."

Snape clears his throat and Crouch groans. "Can't we mess with him a little bit?"

"No."

Rosier grumbles and turns back to face me. "We just wanted to give you a little warning Pettigrew. Since you didn't give us more information, well, let's just say it's time to pay."

I gulp and try to take a step backwards but my back runs into the stone wall.

He chuckles, "Oh don't worry Pettigrew, we aren't going to hurt you."

Snape turns away and starts walking. "The Dark Lord is growing impatient. The next hit won't be so distant to you."

The rest of the Slytherins stand there and stare me down. I faintly hear whooping coming up the hill and take a deep breath.

"Bloody Gryffindors are coming," Rosier groans, "Lets go."

"HEY PETER!" A voice yells.

I whip around quickly to see James and Sirius grinning while running towards me. Immediately they start talking over each other about all of the highlights of the game. It's like they forgot I was the one commentating the game...

A hand slowly taps me on my shoulder, and I turn my head to look up at Remus. "Are you okay Peter? Is something bothering you?"

Damn Remus, why does he have to be so observant?

I shake my head, "I'm alright."

Remus looks at me but doesn't question me further.

James and Sirius toss their arms around my shoulders and start guiding me towards the castle. "So, Peter, you seemed fairly chummy with McGonagall before the game."

I look up at James.

"Don't look so surprised, Wormtail," Sirius grins. "You're one of us, we pay attention to you."

I grin. "Did you know that McGonagall played Quidditch?"
             Immediately, I get pulled to a stop, so we all turn to look at Sirius.

"SHE WHAT?"

James shakes his head, "Sirius, Mackenzie's talent is obviously inherited and there is no way that she got that from Dumbledore."

I start chuckling.

"What's so funny Wormtail?"

"Dumbledore flying. I can just imagine his beard flopping in the wind."

Out of the corner of my eye, I see Remus' eyes start watering. James and Sirius bust out laughing as we start walking forwards again.

We make it to the dorm before we finally stop laughing. "Oh right, McGonagall was hurt in the last game her 7th year. They lost to Slytherin for the cup."

James stops walking and looks at me seriously. "Do you know what we are going to do Peter?"

"What?"

"We are going to win this year for her," Sirius finishes with a grin. Remus chuckles and starts walking towards the stairs.

"Where are you going Remus?"

"Uh, I need a shower..." He says quietly before looking at James and Sirius. "And no offense but you two stink."

James and Sirius shrug but follow Remus anyways. We were just about to walk up the stairs when Mackenzie comes running into the dormitory.

"JAMES!" She screams, catching our attention.

He whips around quickly and looks at her with wide eyes. "What's wrong?"
             "You need to come with me. Death Eaters attacked Lily's house."