Chapter 56

Peter's POV

I walk into the small room down in the dungeons and lower my head immediately. It's dark and dusty and the room is already beginning to get full of the most desired pure-blooded Slytherins. I slip my way to the back and lean against the wall of what used to be a broom closet. I keep my head tucked to my chest, hoping to avoid the attention of the others.

Somehow on the way down to the grounds to see Mackenzie, I was able to slip away from the others to come here to the weekly meeting. The Slytherins all gather at the front and grin amongst each other as they wait for their leaders to come start the meeting while those from the other houses hang back like myself.

I barely remember how I got myself wrapped into the group. They preyed on my fear for my family and ensnared me into proclaiming loyalty to the Dark Lord, forcing me to betray my friends.

The meeting begins like every other time, ranting about which mudbloods are the absolute worst in Hogwarts and how they can't wait to graduate so they can finally do something about it. Then they move onto praising Snape like always about putting mudblood Evans into the Hospital Wing basically on her death bed. I drop my gaze even further at that part. I never wished for my friends to get in harm's way because of my actions here.

They discuss the teachers and which ones they think will ignore more bullying and pranks pulled on other students. Luckily, most of them are part of the SlugClub; unfortunately, Lily is his most favorite student so they can't do too much. They complain about Gryffindor, a lot, mostly about Potter and the Quidditch team. They seem to like that I am the announcer though, they think I am fairly partial with my favor towards the Slytherin team.

"Pettigrew," A voice snarls, pulling my attention back to the meeting.

"Yes," I squeak, startled by how intently everyone is looking at me.

"If you want your family to continue receiving protection from the Dark Lord, we will require payment from you," sneers Mulciber. He leans over the desk they placed at the front of the room and stares me down.

"Payment?" I squeak again rubbing my left forearm anxiously. I already have the mark that displays my loyalty. What more could they want?

Avery stands tall and grins at my discomfort. "Information. We want any information you can scoop up about the beloved Dumbledore."

I nod hesitantly, my brain trying to spin some information together.

"Now Pettigrew." Mulciber glares. "We know you have to know something."

I gulp softly, hoping this doesn't backfire on me. "He has a daughter," I whisper.

"A daughter?" Severus questions, cocking his head to the side as he reads my expression. "Who?"

"Mackenzie Grace McGonagall Dumbledore."

Their eyes pop open as they take in my information. "She is the daughter of not only Dumbledore but McGonagall too?" Mulciber grins, his manic eyes growing with excitement. "Oh, the Dark Lord is going to love this."

Immediately my face drops and thankfully Snape is the only one who noticed. He holds up his hand to cut off Mulciber and Avery while I compile my face back together. "Let's hold off on talking about this newfound excitement. We don't want any of our plans sneaking back into any of the other house's Common Rooms. Meeting dismissed."

All of the Slytherins faces drop but nonetheless they file out of the room with me following closely behind. Snape's eyes narrow at me as I leave before he slams the door shut right behind me. I faintly hear excited murmurs flowing between Snape, Mulciber, Avery and a select few others that are part of the inner circle.

I trudge up the stairs from the dungeons and decide to head straight towards the library. That's where I told the Marauders I would be, sitting with Mary while she studies. I slink up the stairs as slowly as I can, trying to maximize my time to regain my composure before I approach Mackenzie's closest friends. They would never understand my betrayal to keep myself alive. I can hear Sirius now, claiming how he would rather die that betrayal anyone. That stupid Gryffindor courage, all it does is get you killed.

I take a deep breath before walking into the library, I head towards the very last row where I know Mary will be studying. I fall into the chair directly across from her and she doesn't even glance up at me.

"Hello Peter," she says, and I watch her face carefully as a small smile slides across her features.

"Mary," I say softly, attempting to put a smile on my face.

She looks up at my tone, "Your smile isn't reaching your eyes, what's wrong Peter?"

"Just worried and tired," I try to ease her conscience.

She nods before picking up her books and rising out of the chair. "Then let's head to the Common Room, you rest while I finish studying."

I nod and scramble out of her chair and follow her out of the library. We reach the common room and immediately I lay down on the couch. She sits on the floor and reopens all of her books. I close my eyes and begin to pray silently. Please let this all be an awful nightmare.