Chapter 13

James' POV

When I wake up I see Sirius and Peter standing around Remus' bed. "Is Mack okay?" I ask them.

"Come see for yourself," Sirius whispers with a manic grin.

I cross the room and see Mack sound asleep on Remus' chest.  "Did you take a picture?" I whisper.

"Yup, we did.  And it's a good thing it's a Saturday.  We should let them sleep in," Sirius says as he heads into the bathroom. 

After the three of us shower, we head downstairs to the Great Hall for breakfast.  As soon as we sit down, I see a flash of red hair come at us.  "Hello Lilyflower, did you finally decide to go out with me?" I ask the flash.

"Oh shut it you ignorant toe-rag.  How's Mack?" she asks.

"She's sound asleep with Remus," Sirius says.

"With Remus?" Marlene asks confused.

"They are both asleep in his bed," Peter says simply.

"Oh, and her hair?" Lily asks.

"It's completely back to normal.  I think it changed back when Remus laid down.  His presence soothes her," I inform them.

"Look, here they come," Peter says quietly.

I turn and see Mack walking into the Great Hall with Remus right behind her. She looks very defensive with her arms wrapped around herself. Remus notices this and puts his arms around her shoulders. I think he tells her to relax because the next second her arms are down and she looks happy. Remus steers her towards our group and they both sit down right next to each other.

I look Mack in the eyes and see that she is really tired. "You okay Mack?" I ask, "you look very tired."

"I'm fine, just exhausted from last night," she mutters. She looks down at her plate to get some food to see her plate is already full. While she was looking at me Remus put her favorite breakfast foods on her plate. "Did you?" She asks Remus pointing to her plate.

He nods, nervous for her reaction.

"Thank you," she says with a smile and bumps her shoulders into him.

"So James, what are we doing today?" Sirius asks me, drawing my attention away from the awkward couple to my right.

"Well I was thinking we could work on some pranks and Marauders stuff all day," I reply.

"Ahh, today is going to be a good day," he says with a whimsical smile.

"James!" Marlene shouts. "I believe you have forgotten something that we all have today."

"What?" I ask, completely confused.

"Blimey, our own Quidditch captain forgot his own try-outs are today," she mutters just loud enough for us all to here.

"Quidditch try-outs? Today? Why didn't anyone tell me?" Mack exclaims frantically. She starts eating really quickly.

"Mack, slow down before you choke," Remus says to her so softly I think I'm the only other person who hears.

"They start at 1 and its 11 right now," I tell her.

"I need to go," she mutters. I see her look at everyone's plates to see if anyone else is done. She sighs super quietly, but not quiet enough because Remus can still hear her. "Remus, can you come with me?"

"Uh, yeah, if you want me to," he says shyly.

"Of course I want you to or I wouldn't have asked. Now come on," she stands up abruptly and drags Remus out behind her.

Remus stops and turns back to us, "See you all at 1," he shouts and then he jogs to catch back up to her.

~~~~~~~~

Sirius and I walk onto the pitch at noon to start getting ready for try-outs. We walk onto the field to check conditions and then we see Mackenzie flying through the air and Remus sitting in the center of the pitch.

"Hey Remus, what's she doing?" Sirius shouts.

"She's warming up and practicing for try-outs. She doesn't want to mess up," Remus explains.

"How do the flying conditions seem?" I ask.

"Well, based off how she's flying I would say they are good conditions. The sun doesn't seem to bright and harsh and the wind is at a minimum," Remus tells me.

"Wonderful. I'm going to go into the office. Sirius and Remus could you stay here and get Mack out of the air by 12:30 so then she's not flying when people start arriving?" I ask turning away.

"Sure thing!"

I come out an hour later with a schedule of practices and a list of open positions. There are lots of Gryffindors but also people in other houses watching.

"Alright guys, I'm James Potter the Gryffindor Quidditch captain. Now I want to go through these try-outs quickly so if you have any conflicts with the schedule or if you are a first or second year please leave," I pause as a bunch of younger students leave. "Okay so we are practicing Monday, Wednesday, Friday and some Saturdays." Again a bunch of people leave to go to the stands.

"Alright, now that that part is over, could you all split up into groups per position?" I ask them. "Seekers to my left, then chasers, beaters, and keepers." I watch as everyone gets into their spots, except Sirius. "Sirius, you too."

"Really James?" He asks.

"You have to try out too, what if you don't get along with the other beaters?"

"Fine."

I look around and see that Mackenzie is standing with the seekers, Remus with the keepers, Sirius with the beaters, and Marlene in the beaters too. That's weird, she was chaser last year. Oh well, her choice.

"Alright then, if everyone is set, then let's fly. Take 5 laps around the pitch, if you start to lose control or falter I will ask you to leave. I will also ask you to leave if you don't do this quick enough. Ready, set, go!" I shout.

I watch as Mack leads the pack around the pitch with Sirius, Marlene, and Remus right behind her. It's only customary for them to try out. I know they are going to make the team. I look around and see some more people who will make the team as the other two chasers. The group starts to land and immediately some start walking away. They know if they are leaving or not.

"Okay, time for a mini game, two teams head in the air. If you do something I don't like I will ask you to leave. Sorry all but based off flying already I have an idea of who is going to be on the team."

I throw up the quaffle and immediately a chaser drops it so I tell them to leave. That happens a lot so many chasers leave and a bunch of keepers leave as well because Remus is doing really good.

I turn towards the seekers and see Mackenzie hasn't flown yet. "Mackenzie," I shout, "get in the air." She immediately flys up and circles the pitch for the snitch. Then it's like everyone freezes because Mack shoots across the sky and catches the snitch.

"Try-outs are over!" I shout. Then I turn and walk to the office so I can write down the team alone.