Chapter 69

Lily's POV

I roll over and sit up in the twin bed. I rub my eyes to wake them up before noticing my packed trunk "Right," I grumble, "Back to school today." I sit there for a moment before I jump out of bed.

"Mackenzie!" I shout, jumping out of bed and rushing across the room to her twin bed. "Happy Birthday!"

She rolls over with a smile and closes her book. She reaches up and wraps her arms around my waist. "Thanks Lily!"

James comes running into the room with his wand in his hand. I whip around and take him in with Snitch covered pajama bottoms. "I heard yelling."

I place my hand over my mouth to hide my giggling. "It's just her birthday Potter."

He nods, "Right." He turns and walks out of the room, obviously half asleep. He pauses in the hallway before turning back around. "Wait, it's not your birthday?" He says staring at me.

I groan as Mackenzie climbs out of bed. "It's my birthday James."

His mouth drops in an 'O'. "Happy birthday Mack," he smiles walking over and giving her a hug. After pulling away he drapes his arm around my shoulders, "I didn't know you were born on the first day of school."

Mackenzie shakes her head. "That's because you only pay attention if the conversation is about Lily."

He points at her with a grin, "That's not true. I'm paying attention right now."

I push off his shoulder, "And that's because I'm standing next to you. Now go get out of your jammies, I don't think you want to board the train with those pants on."

For the first time ever, he looks down and blushes before running out of the room. "Please tell me you saw that too," I say slowly to Mackenzie.

Out of the corner of my eye I see her nod. "Uh huh."

I shake my head as I walk over to shut the door and then lock it so James can't barge back in. I grab my clothes sitting out for today before slipping into the bathroom. When I come out, Mackenzie is curled up back in bed with her book. I tuck my dirties into my trunk and levitate it down the stairs after me.

As I walk into the kitchen I see Remus and James already sitting at the table. "I'm surprised you didn't barge into the room like James did to wish Mackenzie happy birthday," I say quietly, grabbing my cup of tea and sitting in the open chair between the boys.

Remus chuckled, "And deal with the wrath of angry Mackenzie, no thanks."

"She was already awake Remus when I woke up."

"Really?" he questions, placing down his toast. "That's surprising. Something must be bothering her." He stands up and quickly walks out of the room.

James wraps his arm around the back of my chair. "So Lilyflower, what's the plan for school?"

I turn to look at him and tweak my eyebrow. "Excuse me?"

He takes a deep breath and gestures between us. "It's up to you."

"Well," I shrug and swirl my spoon in the cup of tea. "We aren't anything so shouldn't we be normal?"

James leans away quickly. "We aren't anything?"

"You know what I mean James," I reach over and drape his arm back around my chair. "We are becoming friends. We sort of need to know each other before it goes further."

For the second time today, his mouth drops into an 'O'. "That makes sense since we will be rooming together."

Sirius starts coughing, drawing our attention from each other to him standing by the stove next to Mrs. Potter. "What did you say Jamesie?"