Chapter 36

Remus' POV

I look over at Mack for the nth time today. She changed up her hair so instead of being long and wavy, its short and pin straight. She even made the tips pink for Valentine's Day.

"Remus, would you quit it?" Mack glares at me. "Stop looking at me, you are making me think I have something on my face."

"You do," I smile. "Freckles."

She glares at me once more before running across the courtyard to stand next to Lily and Marlene.

I get shoved from behind and turn around to see Sirius and James looking at me. "So when are you going to ask her out, mate?" James asks.

"I don't know James, when are you going to ask Lily?" I toss right back.

James glares at me, "You know I stopped asking her so she will think I forgot about her."

"And you know I haven't asked her because she said she needed time after the Yule Ball," I glare back.

"That was two months ago though," Sirius says trying to reason why I'm wrong.

Peter moves to stand behind me, "She was unconscious for over two weeks of those two months though."

I look back at Peter and smile, thanking him for the support. It's not easy for Peter to stand up against those two knuckleheads and I appreciate that he did. Peter recognizes my thanks and starts grinning.

I hear footsteps skip over and instantly all four of us try to relax before turning to face Mack and Lily.

"What the hell are you four arguing about?" she scolds us. "It is one of the best times of the year right now! Valentine's day means chocolate."

None of us answer her out of fear and respect for each other.

"Well if you Neanderthals are done, let's go," Lily says, pulling Mack towards Marlene who is waiting for us by Professor McGonagall.

"Mackenzie!" her mum calls out. "Don't forget to visit Uncle Aberforth! He owled me today saying you needed to stop by."

"I will Mum!" she calls out before skipping out of the courtyard with her arms intertwined with Lily and Marlene.

As we approach Professor McGonagall for her to sign us off her list, she decides to remind us of the rules.

"Now boys, you know the rules. No causing trouble in Hogsmeade or you will not be allowed back, no rough housing and absolutely do not be late coming back," she warns.

"Yes Professor," we say quickly. I lean to the side and note how far ahead of us the girls have gotten.

"And Remus," she says quietly while I'm not paying attention. James pokes me and I turn back to Professor McGonagall. "Please make sure Mackenzie really does go see Aberforth at Hogs Head. He misses her a lot since she was unable to see him over winter break due to her incident."

"Of course Professor," I say politely before being dragged away from the courtyard by James.

We keep our distance from the girls so we can continue our talk from earlier.

"Seriously Remus, you need to ask Mackenzie out," Sirius says. "She definitely likes you."

There is no way the girls can hear us talking all the way back here but at that moment Mackenzie turns around, her blue eyes nervously searching for us. I give a slight wave and instantly her face brightens in a smile before turning back around.