Chapter 30

Mack's POV

I sit in the Astronomy Tower looking out at all of Hogwarts.  Since it's break and there's barely anyone here it's like I'm the only one who has noticed how wonderful Hogwarts is in winter.  Everyone here has already gone inside since the sunset about two hours ago. From up on the tower, it's peaceful and silent with untouched snow covering the ground.  Through the relaxing peace, my mind wanders off into thoughts about what could've been. Yesterday was New Year's Eve and while Lily and I had a lot of fun here, I feel like I missed out on something since we weren't able to go to the Potter's Party . I would've been with the Marauders and Remus. It would've been so much fun with them and maybe I would've had my first New Years kiss. But there's no point in thinking about it, it's all in the past now. Maybe next year. My mind comes back to the pressing matters at hand. Tonight is going to be a full moon and I can feel it starting to pull me.  It's been months since I could transform with the moon because of schoolwork.

I stand up and take a few steps back away from the railing.  After checking the stairs behind me, I run and leap over the railing.  My laughter echoes through the crisp air as I fall until I transform into a red Phoenix.  Fawkes has been my friend since I was very little and whenever Professor Dumbledore had to go on business he would send Fawkes to me.  Once I learned I could transform into multiple animals, turning into a Phoenix has been one of my favorites. I soar through the air and over the trees before flying over to Professor Dumbledore's office.  One of Mum's rules for going in the Forbidden Forest is that I always have Fawkes with me.  Then in case something happens Fawkes will get them and bring them to me.

I poke my beak against the window and soon Dumbledore comes over and opens the window.  He calls over Fawkes and pats my head.  "Be careful Mackenzie," he whispers before we both fly away.

Fawkes and I spend hours playing around in the Forest with me constantly changing between different animals.  As we run around we come near a large pond and I change into my pure white wolf before jumping into it.  My wolf is my favorite, it's the first animal I ever shifted into. It's my true form even though I am registered as the silver kitten the Marauders know about.

I stop playing in the pond when I hear a loud howl.  My fur bristles up and instantly I know it's a werewolf's howl.  Fawkes caws from up above me letting me know I should head inside for the night.  He probably wants me to turn into a bird so I will be safer but since I'm wet it could be dangerous.  I get out of the pond and am about to exit the forest when I'm tackled from the side.  Immediately I stand up and growl at my attacker.  It is a black retriever, probably a pet from Hogsmeade that accidently wandered away.  The dog bows in submission to my howl but then starts to back away.  I freeze and hear a crashing noise coming towards us.  My growl must've signaled our location to the werewolf.

I turn and sprint towards the castle as fast as possible.  If I get closer to the castle, I can shift into a bird and hopefully not get sick from the cold. I can hear the werewolf getting closer to me. And then I feel a sharp slash across my shoulder and go tumbling into the ground.  I howl out in pain, my cut instantly burning.  I try to get up but I end up getting another slash in the shoulder and one across my back. I turn and look back at my attacker and see a large light grey werewolf with hazel eyes.  It looks just like my Moony wolf.

The wolf backs away once it sees my wolf face and starts whining to itself.  It begins scratching its arms like its upset.  It doesn't last for very long because I see the dog that tackled me sneaking up behind the werewolf.  It jumps on top of the werewolf and draws its attention away from me.  I'm so distracted that I don't even notice the stag that came over to me until its's horns are pushing under my stomach to try to get me to stand up.  Once I'm standing the deer moves to stand between me and the werewolf and I use that time to  take in my surroundings.  I need somewhere to hide. With my injured shoulder, I'll never make it back to the castle.