Chapter 51

Mack's POV

I finish packing my trunk Sunday afternoon and head downstairs to go find Remus.  I shift quickly into a phoenix and dive down the staircase before re transforming in the kitchen. I arrive just as I see Remus finish attaching a letter to my owl's leg.

"Good afternoon Remus," I smile, giggling as he jumps and turn around. I hop up onto the counter and Remus walks over to me.

"Did you finish packing Miss Mack?" He teases as he stalks towards me.

"Yes I did Remus," I inform him looking up through my eyelashes.

He steps in between my legs and places his hands on my hips. "So you've been a good girl then?"

"Only the best," I wink.

He starts chucking and his hair drifts down to cover the scars on his forehead. I lean up and brush them away and carefully trace his scars.

"Don't do that Mackenzie," he says clearly.

I drop my hand into my lap and look down at his shirt. "Sorry." I slip my leg away from him and hop of the counter. I leave the kitchen and head towards the library. I'm about 5 steps away when the back of my shirt is grabbed and I'm tugged back. I turn around and see Remus's hazel eyes looking down at me concerned

"Why are you leaving?"

"I thought you might want some space because you don't like when I see your scars. Also I need to grab a few books I forgot about."

I begin to move away again but get tugged back again.

Remus shakes his head and looks down at his feet. "I am ashamed of my scars. You don't deserve someone who looks so much older than they really are."

"Do you really think I'm that shallow Remus? That scars will scare me away?" I exclaim suddenly taking steps forwards so I'm pressed against his chest. "You are stuck with me forever so you better get over that real fast."

I turn on my heels and march away quickly and turn into the library. I shut the door behind me and pull my wand out of my bun to charm the door locked. Once the magic settles down from casting the charm I place it on an empty shelf by the door and storm across the room. "You are the most oblivious boy on the planet," I mutter as I angrily shove the leather bound books scattered across the desk back into their appropriate place.

Banging breaks the silence, which I promptly ignore.

"Mack," Remus begs, "Please let me in, I didn't mean to upset you."

I slam the books I was holding down onto the desk. "Well you did just that so leave me alone until I calm down."

Silence echoes from the hall before a defeated sigh is let out. "I owled the rest of the Marauders," Remus informs me from a voice that comes from below the middle of the door. "They have been saying how they want to see you the moment we get back. They are meeting us by the Forbidden Forest and will have food in the dorm for us to eat when we get back."

"We aren't going to the Great Hall for dinner?" I ask, much more calm as I finish returning the last of the books.

Remus again sighs, "I thought you might need a relaxing evening away from prying eyes when you resettle back into Hogwarts."

I pick my wand off the shelf and undo the enchantment. I weave my wand back through my hair and open the door quickly.

Remus, who was stupidly sitting on the ground but leaning against the door, falls back into my legs. He looks up at my face shocked before scooching over to lean against the wall. Once he's moved over, I sit down next to him.