Chapter 23

Mack POV

As soon as we get near the potions area, I throw off the invisibility cloak. I lead the two boys around the corner and see Remus.

"Remus!" I shout. "Are you okay? James and Sirius found me coming back and told me what happened."

He whips around and looks at me for a moment before looking at the boys. "I'm fine," he says with a relaxed smile.

I walk up to him and put my hands on his shoulders. "Oh thank goodness. Is everyone else okay too?"

"They're all fine, well except Professor Slughorn but he's in the infirmary getting taken care of."

"Oh no, at least he's getting help," I say softly.

He wraps his arm around my waist and guides me away from the group. "Mack," he whispers, placing his hands on my shoulders, "how did you do that?"

I sigh. "Honestly Remus, I don't completely know. I casted a spell that poked minuscule holes in the cauldrons but he shouldn't have been affected like that. Whoever's potion he touched must've been made wrong and mixed with a correct one and caused the reaction."

I must've started to sound really scared by the time I finished sharing my thoughts with him because Remus pulls me into a hug. "It's not your fault what happened. Did you get the ingredients though?" He whispers right in my ear.

"Yes," I whisper back. "They're in Moaning Myrtles bathroom."

He leaned away and led me outside since everyone had disappeared from the hallway already. We walked out and headed towards the big oak tree where James, Sirius and Peter were already sitting. We don't even make it all the way there when trouble begins.

"I know you stole something!" Snape shouts as he storms past us, up to James and Sirius.

"Whoa, is Snivellus accusing us of something?" Sirius says to James.

"What are you talking about Snape?"

"Let's stay back here Mackenzie. I don't know what's going to happen but I don't think we should get involved," Remus says softly as a bunch of students start to surround the arguing boys.

"I agree. I'm going to go find Lily. You should get Peter away from them so he doesn't get in trouble too," I whisper back.

He nods and rushes off in one direction while I head in the other. I hurry to find Lily and Marlene to make sure they are out of the way. I have a feeling they are going to start cursing each other soon and I don't want Lily to jump into the middle of them.

As soon as that thought crosses my mind, shouts of spells ring through the air. "Shoot," I mutter. "Where are they?"

All three are shooting nasty spells at each other, Lily is bound to step in soon.

"Levicorpus!" James yells.

Finally, I see Lily and Marlene but just before I reach them Lily runs forward and instantly starts yelling at James.

"How long do you think Lily and James will argue for this time?" I mutter to Marlene.

"Until the spell wears off on Snape," she says back.

"All this does is make Lily upset. Why doesn't she just walk away and ignore them?" I ask.

"She still doesn't realize they both like her and that its why they fight," Marlene says quietly. "She's so oblivious to it all."

"You're lucky Evans was here Snivellus," we hear James say. Marlene and I turn towards the fight just in time to see James take the curse off Snape. "What is he doing? He never just lets him go."