Chapter 48

James' POV

I look up at the Head Table before quickly looking back down at my plate again. I stab my fork into some of my sausages and eat them quickly before repeating the process with my eggs. I look back up at the head table and note they are still missing.

"James, do you want more pumpkin juice?" Lily asks softly from next to me, pulling my attention away from the table.

"Uh sure," I reply. Lily looks at me carefully before nodding slowly. She hesitantly pours the pumpkin juice into my goblet before repeating with her own.

Lily places down the pitcher and looks across at Sirius and Peter who are sitting just as somber. "That's it," she hisses leaning forwards. "What is wrong with all of you?"

I lock eyes with Sirius before dropping my gaze to my hands. I chew on my lip as I struggle to come up with a good answer for Lily. Sirius moves and my attention is drawn up. He opens his mouth to speak when a loud voice pierces the air.

"POTTER, BLACK, PETTIGREW, EVANS!" Professor McGonagall shouts, storming down the aisle towards us. Instantly the whole room silences and turns to look at us. Lily's eyes widen and looks at me extremely nervous. As I turn to face Minnie, I place my hand on top of Lily's to try to comfort her.

"Is everything alright professor?" Marlene asks looking up alarmed with food halfway to her mouth.

"Absolutely not!" She proclaims. "All of you go to Professor Dumbledore's office. NOW!"

Marlene looks at us with a nervous smile and mouths "Good Luck" while I pull on Lily's hand. We all quickly scramble out of our seats and rush down the aisle towards the Entrance Hall.

As soon as we get through the large doors, Lily whirls on us. "WHAT ON EARTH DID YOU BOYS DO NOW?"

"Nothing," Sirius says quickly, throwing his hands into the air. Lily pulls out her wand and instantly Sirius ducks down. "Relax woman, I'm telling you the truth."

"Then why am I being pulled into this Black?" Lily glares at him.

I place my hand on Lily's shoulder and immediately her hand moves around until the tip of her wand is pressed against my throat. I raise my hands slowly and take a step back. "He's telling the truth Lily; we honestly didn't do anything this time. We have been watching Remus like a hawk lately."

She lowers her wand but continues glaring at me. She turns back towards the stairs and stomps up them. Her bright red hair bounces up and down with each step up the stairs. Man, her hair is beautiful, I wish I could run my fingers through it. I mean she is my soulmate and all so technically I guess I could.

"James, hurry up mate," Sirius glares from the statue guarding Dumbledore's office. I sprint up the stairs to catch up to them, just in time to hear Lily say the password.

Lily stands directly in front of the statue and stares up at the Gryffindor's beak. "Chocolate frogs," she mutters and as soon as the words leave her mouth the statue begins to rotate around. Sirius and Peter scramble onto the stairs and Lily follows closely behind. I step up behind her and carefully wrap my arm around her shoulders.

"Lily," I whisper leaning into her ear. "If we are going to get into trouble for something I will make sure you will not get any punishment."

She turns and look over her shoulder. Her hair floats around like a halo as it catches the light from above. "Promise James?" She whispers back, her jade eyes glancing up at me through her eyelashes.

"Always."

We get to the top of the stairs and step onto the landing. Sirius turns back and looks into my eyes, "Ready?"