Chapter 12

Remus' POV

"Mack," I whisper as she jumps down the hole.  I fall to my knees, completely lost as to what I did wrong.  Is it wrong to give her a hug and kiss her forehead? That's what you do when you care about someone and want to thank them.

I stay frozen for a little bit but finally I leave the tunnels and wander around the school for a while.  I think about heading to the kitchens but I don't want to see anyone.  I would go to the library but it's definitely closed by now.  Finally I leave the courtyard I had wandered into and head straight to the Astonomy Tower.  I probably wasted half an hour by wandering around the school, maybe more.  It's probably after curfew by now so I really wish we had this map done. It would really help for knowing if a teacher was coming.

You know what Remus, you are going to start this map right now and eat chocolate so you stop thinking about Mack.  I pull the packages of candy out of my pockets and make them normal sized again before I sit down on the floor.  Then I pull out a piece of parchment and start applying a series of enchantments onto it when I get interrupted.

"Hi Remus," squeaks out Peter.

"Hey Peter," I respond.  I look up to see him come and sit right across from me and look at the parchment in my hands.

"What's that?" He asks.

"Oh it's the map," I say cheerfully. Or at least I hope it sounded cheerful.  "I figured I could start it to keep my mind off some things."

"Can I help with the map?"

"Sure. Why don't you think of something to be the password to get the words on the map to appear? Oh and a different password to make the words go away?"

"I can do that."

"Great! Can you also make sure it has something to do with the Marauders and what we do?"

"Right."

At least another 15 minutes go by as we both think.  I'm trying to think of more spells that would map out the school, but there are none that would map it out on its own. They are all ones that we would have to do as we walk around the school.  Walking around will give us a greater chance of being caught so I soon get distracted and look out at the stars.  The stars remind me of Mack, so bright and beautiful, both make you curious and fascinated.  I stand up and walk over to the balcony. You can see the whole grounds from up here. I wonder where Mack is right now.

So I turn to Peter.

"Why did you come up here?" I ask.

"Oh, Mackenzie came back to the common room almost unconscious so I told James and Sirius I would come find you. Sirius reacted first when she showed up in the room," Peter says softly.  "We thought you guys were attacked and got hurt."

"She showed up unconscious?" I ask alarmed.

"Yup, she practically fell into the common room before collapsing on the floor. Sirius carried her upstairs while I got the door to our room. Then he laid her on your bed.  She was super pale and shaking like crazy.  Her hair was pitch black too," he mumbles.

"Are you serious?" I ask.

"Yeah and mate, I've got nothing right now for the password," Peter says yawning. "I'm really tired so I'm going to head back to the common room."

"Okay Peter, I'll come with you," I say softly. I move away from the balcony and walk towards the stairs.

When we get back to the common room I stop at the window while Peter continues up to our room. From this window you can see both the Whomping Willow and the Shrieking Shack.  Maybe she ran off because she knows I'm a werewolf.  She must think I'm a monster.  Wait, she already told us she doesn't think werewolves are monsters.  Maybe she changed her mind.

I walk into the dorm room and see everyone sound asleep. I walk over to my trunk by my bed and see Mack laying on top of the covers sound asleep. I sigh, reach into my trunk and pull out two shirts and a pair of sweatpants.  I set one shirt to the side and pull out my wand. With a wave I flash my t-shirt onto Mack and fold up her clothes.  I head to the bathroom and get ready for bed.  When I come out I remember that Peter said that Sirius reacted first so I head over to his bed to talk to him.

"Sirius," I mutter, "wake up!"

He groans and rolls over to face me. "Remus, what do you need?"

"I wanted to ask you about Mack," I tell him.

"Of course you do," he mutters as he sits up. "Okay, I can't tell you everything but you didn't do anything wrong. Basically what I got from her was that you shocked her which initiated a panic attack and then it got worse because she got scared you would be mad at her."

"Oh," I whisper looking down at the ground.

"Just listen to her and comfort her.  If you show her you aren't mad at her then everything will be fine between you two, okay?"  Sirius says being completely serious with me.

"I can do that," I say nodding to myself.

"Great, I'm going back to sleep," he says laying back down and he falls asleep instantly.

I turn around and see Mack curled up in a ball and that the shirt has ridden up a bit. Thank goodness it's still super long on her otherwise that would be a problem.  I walk over to my bed and sit on the edge.  I look down at Mack and see that her hair is pitch black.

"Woah Peter was right. She really is a metamorphagus.  She must be really upset if her hair is still black," I whisper.

I reach over and brush some of her hair out of her face.  My fingers linger on her hair and then I gasp.  Her hair is starting to get lighter so I pull my hand away.  Her hair stops going back to its original color though.  I pull the blankets out from underneath her and climb into bed next to her.  I lay on my back and pull her close.  Immediately, her body relaxes and her hair fades back to its original color. I pull the blankets over us and fall sound asleep.