Chapter 41

Mack's POV

I wake up early the next morning to pounding on the front door. I silently slip out of bed, twirl my wand into my hair and shrink down into my grey cat form. I dash down the stairs and sneak over to the front bay window. I tuck my head underneath the curtains and peer out to see who is at the front door.

"I can see you Mac and Cheese!" Uncle Aberforth shouts looking straight at me. "Open this damn door before I freeze my arse off in this cold."

I slip out from the curtain and shift back while reaching out for the door handle. The second I am back to being human I turn the door knob and open the door.

"Uncle Aberforth, it is good to see you and I'm not trying to be rude but what are you doing here?" I ask confused. I step to the side to allow him to stomp into the room and he hangs his cloak up on the coat stand to his right.

"You need some breakfast, don't ya?" he huffs walking away.

I follow down the hallway before taking a left into the cottage's kitchen. "I know how to cook and take care of myself."

"I know that, it's your mum who doesn't," he calls out from where his head is stuck inside the refrigerator making his voice all choppy.

I walk over towards the breakfast nook and pick up my long cardigan I left there last night. I slip it on and wrap it around me before joining my uncle by the fridge. "Whatcha looking for in there?" I ask, making him jump a foot high.

"Jeez, you're gonna give me a heart attack kid," he grumbles. "I'm looking for anything I can use to cook us breakfast."

I move towards the pantry and struggle to grab the pancake mix off the top shelf. "Pancakes?"

Uncle Aberforth stands up so quick he bangs his head on the top of the fridge.

"Are you okay?" I exclaim, rushing over to his side.

He brushes me off, "I'm fine, I'm fine. Pancakes sound great. You start cooking, I'm going to run to the store to get you some eggs, milk, bacon, pumpkin juice, and stuff you can make for lunch and dinner."

I smile, "Thank you Uncle Aberforth."

"Anytime missy," he waves as he runs out the door. I faintly hear the pop of disapparation and turn around to face the stove. I place the box onto the counter and pull my wand out of my hair. My hair floats down around my shoulders in a slight wave. I quickly cast a few incantations and a mixing bowl, spoon, measuring cup and oil come flying at me. Placing down my wand, I make the pancake mix and turn on the stove. I move a stool around in front of the stove and start making some pancakes.

"I'm back!" Uncle Aberforth shouts from the front hallway and makes a huge slamming noise as he shuts the door.

"Finally, I want some bacon!" I shout back.

He bustles into the kitchen with his hands overflowing with food. "Well what are you sitting there for? Grab me a frying pan so we can get this bacon going!"

"Yes sir!" I salute and jump off the stool. I rush over to the lower cabinet and grab a medium size frying pan and place it on the hot burner since I had just finished making the pancakes.

While I'm doing this I hear Uncle Aberforth grab a knife from the countertop and cut open the package of bacon and cut each slice in half.

"Why are you cutting the bacon in half?" I question as he tosses the first few pieces into the frying pan.

"To make it easier to cook of course," he states like this was so obvious I should've known already.