Chapter 38

Lily's POV

I turn and look at James and Sirius and see that their happiness has dropped off their faces then second Mack runs away. I start to go after her when I feel an arm yank me back. I turn and look back and see James looking down at me.

"I need to go after my best friend," I protest trying to tug my arm away from him.

James shakes his head, "I can't let you go Lily. We both know Mach will be fine. Eventually, she will put all the pieces together and figure out its true. Remus doesn't know anything. He doesn't know that she knows her soulmate is a werewolf." He turns and looks at Remus. "He looks heartbroken Lily, he must be thinking that she figured out what he is and could never love someone like him."

James and I don't even realize that Flitwick dismissed the class during our whispered conversation until he calls out. "Okay Mr. Potter, class is over. Please show me your patronus now."

James looks over at him quickly before turning back to me. "Take Remus outside with you, Marlene, and Sirius. Don't go anywhere until I join you."

I nod and I grab my book bag before walking over to Remus. I reach out and take his hand then pull him outside with Sirius and Marlene leading in front of us.

I'm almost out of hearing range when I hear Professor Flitwick ask James why he needed to wait until after class.

"Once you see my patronus, you will realize why Professor," he says quietly. "Expecto Patronum."

I look over my shoulder and see James standing there with his back to me with a large stag is running around the room.

"Lily," I hear Flitwick say with a smile on his face. "I understand completely. With the way Mackenzie and Remus reacted it makes the most sense why you wouldn't want to show her."

Remus tugs my arm and pulls me outside with a knowing smile.

My mouth drops open and I shove Remus away from me the second we are in the hall. "You knew," I exclaim incredulous.

Remus chuckles and we continue down the hall towards Marlene and Sirius. "I had my suspicions but it was proved with the amortentia this morning and then seeing your patronus," he explains with a cautious smile.

I check behind me to make sure James isn't there before groaning. "We smelled each other in the potion didn't we? Because I know ran out of perfume days ago."

Remus laughs, "Yes and James didn't shower this morning, Sirius took too long." We just about reach Sirius and Marlene when Remus stops me, "James truly loves you Lily. That's why he has slowly stopped asking you out constantly since the beginning of last year."

I look at Remus. "I did notice that," I say softly. "He also mostly stopped bullying people too."

"He's trying to become better so he can deserve you," Remus says softly. "But he honestly does hate Severus so I doubt them fighting will ever greatly change."

I nod. "With everything happening lately, things might start to change for us all."

Remus sighs, showing his sadness about everything with Mack. "Yeah, things definitely will. My friendship with Mack is ruined."

"Not necessarily," James says sprinting over to where we are all standing. "You don't know everything about Mack since you two never had that talk. I feel like we should probably tell you instead."

"You all knew something and didn't tell me," Remus says softly looking at us all shocked. "Did you know we were soulmates?"

We all stay silent for a while until Sirius spoke up, "We had very strong suspicions that you two were. We were proven right today though."

He looks at all of us shocked. "Did you know she would react like this!?"

We all stay silent and this time no one speaks up.

"Why wouldn't you tell me? Then I wouldn't have let her see my Patronus," Remus exclaims.

I shake my head, "Remus, she already knew she had a soulmate. She knew some of his characteristics too. She just doesn't want to apply them to you. That's why she is so upset."

"What do you mean by characteristics?" Remus asks confused.

"She has known her soulmate is a werewolf since she was 6," Sirius says bluntly.

"And that fact has never bothered her Remus," I interject quickly.

"The problem is that she loves you and doesn't want to admit to herself that you are a werewolf," James finishes what we were all thinking.

"So she won't ever accept that I am a werewolf," Remus says sitting down, obviously very confused.

I move over and kneel right in front of him. "Remus, you love Mackenzie very much. That's obvious to us all just like how it's obvious to us that she loves you. You are sweet, smart and amazing. She is in shock that out of everyone in the world, you are the one that has to go through the pains of being a werewolf." I watch him and finally see a connection jumpstart in his brain.

"She cares about me so much she doesn't like the thought that I have to go through the pains of being a werewolf," he concludes.

"Exactly mate," James echoes from right behind me. He crouches down and places his hands on my shoulders to steady himself. I can feel how tense he is, like he's afraid I might push him off like I would normally do, but I when I don't he relaxes. I somehow feel more respect towards James that I did before. "That's also why she reacted so badly when she first started getting those shocks when you two would touch and everything. Remember that one time she ran away at Honeydukes?"

He nods, "I'm guessing she told you about the soulmate thing back when she ran off in September."

"Yup, she was having a panic attack when she told us four," Sirius says softly.

Remus starts to stand up.

"Whatcha think you are doing there buddy?" Sirius asks cautiously.

"I need to go find Mack," he says looking down at James and I.

I look back at James and see that he's shaking his head.

"You don't think that is a good idea?" I question James.

"It most certainly is not a good idea," James states back to me.

"Why?" All of us ask him.

"She found out she had a soulmate after she was originally attacked, remember? Remus, each time she was attacked it was you who attacked her," James says honestly.

Remus freezes. "Me? I was the one who hurt her."

Sirius swears, "Do we have to do this now James?"

"Yes Sirius, we do."