Critique for Critique

I'm a huge fan of giving and receiving critiques, really.

They help me know where I can improve my writing and they help me see my strong points that I shouldn't be focusing on.

But you know what type of critiques piss me off?

Sugarcoated and one-liners.

First off, what does sugarcoating do? Why are you trying to spare my feelings about something possibly poorly written? I want a critique so I know what's trash in my books!

Don't be a scaredy-cat and just tell me your honest opinion. Stop worrying about if I'm going to snap at you. I will end up deleting your comment if it's not a real critique.

Now... About one-liners...

THEY ARE THE WORST THING TO GET. IF I GIVE YOU AN HONEST AND WELL THOUGHT OUT CRITIQUE, YOU BETTER GIVE ME ONE BACK.

I'm tired of these one-liners where all they say is "Good job!" or "This is really good. Keep up your writing!"

Those are just normal comments you leave on a book you enjoy, not actual critiques/reviews.

I remember back during my first year on Wattpad I had this terrible paranormal book (it's still up if you wish to see the cringe). I wanted people's honest opinions on it and promised I would review a book of their choice. 

I did my end first and left great feedback on their books, most of my critiques focusing on their poor grammar, improper paragraphing, and their characters' personality strong points and flaws.

But what did they do?

"There's nothing wrong with this book. Good job." - Fellow werewolf author

"I like this." - A vampire genre author

"Good." - Paranormal genre author

Those are VERY poor excuses for reviews/critiques. None of them addressed how flawed my MC's personality was (her moods were all over the place), they didn't point out my terrible romance buildup, and they also didn't say anything about how I made the littler brother the annoying brother stereotype.

Write legit reviews/critiques for people's books if someone asks for one, don't give crappy one-liners that will just boost egos of poor grammatical authors. And if someone gives you a well thought out critique, you better give one back or else no one will give any of their time to critiquing yours ever again.

Remember to vote if someone has ever given you crappy reviews and critiques.