Bodyshaming (Non-Wattpad)

Alright, I've vented about this a lot to others in the past, but I'm doing it on here now.

Mainly because my own mother contributed to body shaming me today.

I'd like to address this because bodyshaming is a serious issue we deal with daily, for men and women. Usually it's done to women who are heavier set. I'm a woman, yes, but I'm not heavy. I'm actually super thin.

I've seen bodyshaming everywhere and it disgusts me greatly. If people love their body, then let them be confident instead of tearing them down.

Sure, some people MAY have health issues based on their weight, but it's THEIR and their DOCTOR'S business only. Strangers and family should not make comment unless it's obvious self-destruction (like a result from an ED).

Ever since I was little, I've dealt with family poking at me to eat more because of how thin I am. My ribs show, my spine shows, my hip bones and collar bones also show. I can't help that they show no matter how much I eat.

There are people who have the opposite issue too. They exercise and diet and are healthy 24/7 but cannot lose the weight they desire to lose. It's frustrating and something us super thin people feel as well.

Both extremes are insecure. We are self-conscious of our bodies due to comments like "Eat a cheeseburger", "You should replace that with a salad", and many more.

What made me write this today was actually a comment while on campus (just finished my sophomore year at university). My mom and I wanted to get our money's worth from my meal plan and flex, so we went to the Starbucks owned by my school.

As we're waiting for our coffee and tea to come out, she asked how I'm doing with my boyfriend.

Now note: my boyfriend is on the heavier side. He desires to lose weight, but I think he's perfect no matter his size.

When I told her one of the things he will miss most about being separated most of the summer (scheduling and because we're about an hour and 20 minutes away from one another) would be holding and hugging me. It is one of the things we found most blissful and relaxing to do on campus. Simple cuddling to watch tv or fall asleep was what we loved most.

When it came to my mom responding, she went "Well, what is there for him to hold?"

That comment had me mentally swearing at her. 🤬

Like what?

You say your own daughter has nothing on her?

I may have a small butt and small chest, but they are proportioned to my petite body. If my chest was any bigger I'd have back pain. My butt would also need me to get pants larger than what I currently wear (which are already baggy af on my legs).

I just don't get why a comment like that should be said?

I countered back with "Would you tell a large woman she has too much to hold?". Because come on! That IS an insult. The thin comment is the same. It's an insult.

I understand curves and being "thick" is in right now. But no one should force themselves to fit the beauty standard.

And the reason I put thick in quote marks is because the thick that is desired is large thighs, wide hips (but not motherbearing), big butts, large breasts, a flat stomach, and tiny waist.

To me that's a body type only achievable by surgery. It doesn't seem natural to have a tiny waist and flat stomach while having major curves and fat in the more desirable locations.

I'm tired of the BS I go through and many other females, large and thin.

Not only that, but males are insecure if they don't have muscles or abs. They're pressured into trying to fit this Chris Hemsworth/Jason Momoa body type.

Can we stop harassing people about their bodies? Don't call someone a twig, don't say someone has diabetes from their weight, don't poke fun at their bones, or their chest being small, don't shame them for having "moobs", don't even give a disgusted look at them for their body.

Turn your head away. Keep your bodyshaming words to yourself.