Makeup (And Acne)

NOTICE: This was written in 2017 with current dermatology studies used. Current science on skin types and melanin intensity affecting acne may have changed since this was written.

Ever notice how many of the teen fiction and romance books have all the girls wear makeup? Save for the nerds in it.

And when I mean makeup, I mean FULL FACE.

Like, how do they not get break outs?

I have to wear a full face (foundation, mascara, eyeliner, blush, bronzer, and lipstick) for any theater production I'm in. And after a week of doing constant face makeup, I have breakouts under my lower lip, by the sides of my nose, and all over my forehead. You can see most of my typical makeup in the photo added to this chapter. This is the required makeup for a basic musical (if you consider Cinderella basic).

And a quick note since I will be going on with this specifically about female characters on here, I'm going to state this: Girls (and boys) with darker skin tend to have less acne.

I've seen the African American girls at my school who act like the typical mean girl and also white chicks who play that role as well. Both of their groups wear a lot of makeup. But guess what? It's almost always the lighter skinned group having to wear concealer due to zits.

Not to mention, one of my former close friends had very dark skin. She and I worked on each other's makeup for our sophomore musical production. I broke out bad after Beauty and the Beast, she didn't, only a few on her forehead.

Now, here in Wattpad books, our mean girl cliques are almost always white. But guess what? They also have perfect skin.

That isn't logical! Even if you wash your face religiously, you're still going to get zits!

First off, zits are more visible on lighter skin, hence why it seems us whites get more acne and scars as well. Secondly, anyone with light skin (asians, this includes you too) has thinner layers of it, so we're more likely to have visible bumps or areas inflamed to be seen.

I also read somewhere about how darker skinned people also have tighter pores than those of us with lighter skin, so dirt, makeup, and other junk can't get in them as much.

So seriously, why is it that most white characters never have acne but a darker character does? That isn't logical!

Seriously, if you're making any character have a makeup obsession, do. know it's going to cause acne problems. And take in the fact that skin types also affect them!

If they wear foundation, contour, or wear highlighter, then acne should appear on the nose, cheeks, and forehead!

Blush, cheeks.

Eyebrows and eyeshadow? In the eyebrows, eyelids, and the area of the nose's bridge by the eye corners.

Lipstick? Corners of mouth, under lower lip, and maybe in the "mustache" area.

If they blend into the neck, the neck should have acne as well.

And other places for acne (sometimes mixed with an ingrown hair) are... Legs, arms, back, armpits, and pubic area (especially if the character shaves there). They can all have them.

Stop making characters' lives perfect and add acne to them! We all go through the torture at some point!