5. Break

5. Break

"Welcome home, Drew." an older male smiled at me.

Huh? My body moved, stepping into the home my mind told me was unfamiliar to me. (My body, however, knew the house like it was their own.) Taking off my shoes, I stepped into the house, jumping into a surprise hug.

"I'm home~!" I heard me say--was this a girl's voice?

"Did you have fun?" Eve chuckled, patting me on the head gently, returning the hug briefly before we broke apart.

(How did I know his name?)

"Yep!" I replied.

Another male showed up from the kitchen--Zen, my mind told me--and calmly called out to us both. "Dinner's ready. You're hungry, aren't ya? we got work today."

Eve took my hand, and we made our way into the kitchen.

We passed a mirror, and I stole a glance--A girl? Her hair was black, and the girl had eyes the same colour as mine--a bright, serene shade of harlequin green.

-----

I woke up with a start. My breathing was laboured; my eyes had widened; my fists were clenched. I took a second to recover my surroundings--

An unfamiliar ceiling. White sheets. Different clothes. An IV drip. A breathing mask. The beeping of a heart monitor?

A hospital room.

I quickly pushed myself up, my lungs burning at the sudden movement. I cringed at the pain, reaching up to remove the obstructive mask over my face. I caught sight of a small mirror on my bedside table.

Quickly, I picked it up. I saw a boy--a boy with hair a peculiar shade of sandy brown. I breathed a sigh of relief.

Calm down, Rei, I told myself, That was just a really weird dream.

"But," I was a little surprised at how much energy it took to speak, "What happened?"

Someone was at my bedside. Her head laid on the bed and her lower body slumped on the floor, she was asleep--soundly, but the corners of her eyes were red.

Sae, I realized.

The door opened. I turned to it quickly, to see Sui standint here, a mortified expression on her face. She dropped what she was holding--a school bag--and ran over, diving into me.

"Rei," she called softly, sniffling and crying, "Rei, I was so worried."

I put my hands on her head, rubbing her head gently, ruffling her hair soothingly. I bit my lips--her eyes were red, but there were visible eyebags under her eyes. what kind of brother am I to make her worry like this?